Thanksgiving Box Office is the Biggest in History

%E2%80%98Ralph+Breaks+the+Internet%E2%80%99+and+%E2%80%98Creed+II%E2%80%99+took+the+top+two+spots+in+the+box+office+during+Thanksgiving+2018.+

‘Ralph Breaks the Internet’ and ‘Creed II’ took the top two spots in the box office during Thanksgiving 2018.

Courtesy of MGM and Disney

Courtesy of MGM and Disney

Courtesy of MGM and Disney

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

Officially starting off the holiday season, Thanksgiving is all about family time and bringing people together. Like any holiday, businesses usually see either a dip or an influx of profits because people are either shopping more or taking a break to spend the time to celebrate. This Thanksgiving movie box office made the most money than any Thanksgiving weekend in history.

Movies such as Ralph Breaks the Internet, Creed II, The Grinch, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, Robin Hood, and many more movies hit the box office this Thanksgiving.

These three movies debuted their first week during the Thanksgiving weekend. Ralph Breaks the Internet, starring John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman, made a whopping $84 million, and Creed II featuring Sylvester Stallone and Michael B. Jordan got a total of $56 million. Robin Hood, starring Taron Egerton and Eve Hewson racked up $14 million. Ralph Breaks the Internet was number one in the box office, while Creed II was number two. Robin Hood was not as much as a hit than the other two but still debuted at number 7 in the box office.

In its second week at the movie’s, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, made $42 million out of a combined total of $116 million. The J.K. Rowling movie ranked number three for profits during this weekend but was ranked as number one for the monthly count.

The Grinch, the all-animated Dr. Suess remake, racked up $42 million as well. The children’s movie was ranked number 4 and number two for the month.

Based on the life of Freddie Mercury and the iconic band, Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody took number 5 in the box office, making $19 million in its fourth week. It was placed as number 3 for the month.

The number of big releases this weekend included more Hollywood favorites this Thanksgiving than in other years prior to 2018. When asked about what he thought about this year’s Thanksgiving box office being the biggest ever, Nick Deang (11) said that he “was surprised that so many people watched movies during this Thanksgiving weekend.”

Because there is so much going on in politics, world news, and natural disasters, it is no wonder why people are showing up to the movies more often. Also, according to Vox, “There’s the fact that Americans tend to show up to the movies — still a relatively low-cost form of entertainment — in times of trouble.” With Black Friday and the Thanksgiving box office being huge successes this year, fall of 2018 has definitely been a hit for shopping and entertainment.

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

Stephen Serrano is a junior at Yorba Linda High School. He is currently serving his second year as a Section Editor and his third year as a part of The...