Winter Holidays Celebrated Around the World

YLHS students enjoy their hot chocolate in their holiday pajamas before school starts.

Cameron Carlson

Delaney Pietsch, Photojournalist

Winter season is coming up and everyone knows what that entails, the holiday season. No matter what you celebrate, everyone gets into the holiday cheer over winter break. While Christmas is probably the most celebrated holiday in our area, that does not mean it is the only one. Let’s take a look at the other holiday celebrations around the world.

Hanukkah

This holiday is based around the Jewish religion. For eight days in November or December Jews light a Menorah. A Menorah holds eight candles that they light each day. This symbolizes the ancient miracle of how one day’s worth of oil lasted for eight days.

St. Lucia Day

This holiday is celebrated in Sweden. Sweden girls will dress up in white dresses with red sashes and a wreath with burning candles around their heads. On December 13 they sing songs early in the morning to wake up the rest of the family, which they will then serve coffee and twisted saffron buns.

Kwanzaa

Kwanzaa, which stands for “First Fruit” is celebrated by millions of Africans around the world. This African harvest festival lasts from December 26 and January 1, which celebrates family, unity, and life. During this timeframe, African Americans decorate their homes with fruits and vegetables, wear fancy dresses, and light a kinara (candle holder).

Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras is a celebration that takes place on the Tuesday before Lent, since it is a solemn time for people around the world. In Brazil, New Orleans, and many other places around the world, people throw a huge celebration. They decorate the whole town, have parades, and wear ornate costumes.

Christmas

This celebration around the world comes out of the Christian religion. Family members and friends come together throughout the month of December to exchange gifts, go to church, go caroling, and celebrate other traditions. According to Riley Pietsch (10) her favorite traditions is “decorating cookies with [my] grandma.”Around towns, people decorate their houses with Christmas trees and lights.

Lunar New Year

Lunar New Year is celebrated by any country that follows a lunar calendar. Every country follows different celebrations, but the most universal ones are exchanging red envelopes with money in them, playing games, and setting off fireworks.  

YLHS

There are many diverse traditions celebrated at Yorba Linda High School. With Winter Break coming up, many of the arts programs come together to put on a performance in front of the school. Dance Company will be performing at . Choir will be performing at . Finally to wrap up the winter seasons is the deck the hall contest. This is where students and teachers come together for the annual door decorating competition.