Sports Tributes for Thousand Oaks Shooting

LeBron James and Josh Hart wearing their t-shirts for the victims of the Borderline Bar Shooting in Thousand Oaks.

Courtesy of Marcio Jose Sanchez

Courtesy of Marcio Jose Sanchez

Courtesy of Marcio Jose Sanchez

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

Throughout recent years, there have been many unfortunate events that have shaped America as a nation. Starting from 9/11, to the numerous shootings at schools and at pubs, the violence and turmoil, must end. Another tragedy struck California on November 7. Ian David Long, a 28-year-old US Marine Corps veteran shot and killed 13 people at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California. The dreadful event has influenced many of the sports teams to offer their support for those victims and for Thousand Oaks as a whole.

NBA teams, the Milwaukee Bucks, the Los Angeles Clippers, the Los Angeles Lakers, and the Atlanta Hawks honored the victims of the terrible event on Saturday, November 10. The teams wore black t-shirts that read “ENOUGH” on the front and listed the names of the victims on the back, during warm up. Before their games, all four teams had a moment of silence to honor the lost lives (NBC).

As for the NFL, the Los Angeles Rams offered their respects by inviting the first responders of the Borderline Shooting and the Woolsey Fires that also went through Thousand Oaks, in a game that they called “LA Together”. The Rams went against the Kansas City Chiefs in this game. Thousands of victims from both tragedies were honored with free admission for the momentous occasion.

Rams fans also received “LA Together” towels in remembrance. All of the “proceeds from a game raffle will benefit the fire and shooting victims and more money will be raised through an online auction, featuring signed game jerseys and specially designed hats that players and coaches wore at the game” (NBC). The tragedy brought the people of Los Angeles and other counties in Southern California together.

The saddening events have not only brought the nation together but also the professional sports world as well. More fans of these sports teams have also shown great support after sports influencers made more awareness. Nick Deang (11) agrees and believes that “I think it is so kind for sports teams to honor the lives lost for Thousand Oaks Shooting”.

There is so much hope for the victims in the future. Many condolences, thoughts, and prayers of a steady healing process go out towards all those victims of both the Thousand Oaks Shooting and the Woolsey Fires. On behalf of The Wrangler and YLHS, we hope that everyone stays safe this holiday season and takes time to recover.

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

Stephen Serrano is a junior at Yorba Linda High School. He is currently serving his second year as a Section Editor and his third year as a part of The...