Ylhs Men’s start of the Season Recap

Go support Men's soccer December 14 at Home at 6:00!!!

Brandon Russell, Editor In Chief

As with every start of a sport here at Ylhs, comes determination and utter hunger for the upcoming games and tournaments that for some seniors, will be there final one. With this soccer season coming to the forefront of the year, that of Men’s and Women’s soccer is now ready to do what they have been preparing for for the first half of the year.

Men’s soccer recently started out there season on November 15 against Troy High School. Gaining a 0-0 draw, the Mustangs played a hard game throughout to give no advantage to Troy and their continuous pressure. After that Wednesday game, and a training and endurance trip up to Big Bear the following day, Men’s soccer faced Estancia last Monday. Coming in as huge underdogs to the division 2 opponents, the Mustangs edged out a 2-1 victory at home over Estancia.  With goals from Cameron Carlson (12) and Reese Morgan (11), the Mustangs took a Win over Thanksgiving break.

Coming off the win over Estancia last monday, the Mustangs faced a series of three games over the span of Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday the next week. Starting out on the road against Division 2. Newport Harbor, the team faced a hard 2-1 Loss. Playing strong and smart soccer throughout most of the game, the guys unfortunately could not complete the comeback. Cole Smith (12) as with the rest of the team, “learned from our mistakes and the injuries that we faced. Along with that we learned a little bit more about how we play as a unit and what works and what doesn’t.” After a tough loss the next day to Coachella Valley High School, at Coachella Valley, and to Godinez High School on Wednesday, the mustangs are continuing to stay positive and persistent.

Since the team is Division 3 and the teams they are playing are Division 2 and 1, the challenges that the team is facing is only to help them prepare for their league games that determine their fate in CIF. With league games beginning in January, both the Men’s and Women’s team are preparing for their league games in each respective league. During the year, the Men will continually face Esperanza, Canyon, and El Modena High School. As far as right now is concerned, both teams are continually preparing to reach that next level of soccer, for who some, will be their last year.

Brandon Russell, editor-in-chief

Brandon Russell is a senior at Yorba Linda High School. He is currently an editor-in-chief for The Wrangler. At this point in his life, he has many aspirations...