Tips for an Advanced Year

courtesy of College Board

College Board provides an advanced program of education for high school scholars

Tiffany Vo, Photojournalist

Yorba Linda High School yet again achieves the highest AP passing scores in the entire Placentia Yorba Linda Unified School District. Over the month of May 2017, 4088 AP tests were administered throughout the district. At YLHS, with 993 test distributions over 24 subjects, 88.22 percent of the overall grades were of the passing mark (OC Register). Students with experience of taking on multiple AP courses share their wisdom and intellect on how to maintain their focus, practice their study habits, and tackle the exams.

Throughout the United States and Canada, high school students are able to sign up for advanced placement, or AP, classes that provide work and education at the college level. If the exam is taken and passed with a score of three or above in a range of one to five, these classes could earn college credit and allow students to develop skills and work ethics that could benefit their journeys after high school (College Board).

Mustangs of YLHS that have participated in these rigorous courses offered their guidance in managing a successful and productive year.

1. Organization

With multiple classes everyday of the week, it is crucial for students to maintain their notes, quizzes, and tests. Planning ahead and keeping track of homework will make schedules less chaotic, and, according to Ashley Ko (12), it will “prevent any deadlines from slipping through [one’s] memory.”

1. Time Management

Like Cynthia Choi (12) screamed, “Please don’t procrastinate!” Time management will avoid homework from piling up. Waiting until the last day to complete an assignment will likely result in a rushed and sloppy outcome.

1. Study Group

Every student retains information at a different pace; some are faster than others. Don’t be discouraged by not understanding a certain concept. Forming a study group will only benefit everyone involved. Teaching another student or being taught by one can help both participants in understanding the lesson more thoroughly because, as Erica Casillas (12) puts it, one will “only truly grasp a subject when they themselves can teach it.”

1. Take Good Notes

Paying attention in class and taking valuable notes will only assist in studying the correct concepts of the class. Developing a useful note-taking method can be beneficial in determining  the way they understand best. Allison Zambrano (12) advises to “paraphrase long definitions and jot down only the important key bullets” since writing down every single word will result in wasting time on useless filler information.   

1. Relax

AP students are constantly stressed from their work and projects. Allow for alone time, family time, or time with friends. Christian Min (12) says having a “clear head will help one to perform better” on assessments. It is also always important to take care of one’s mental health.