Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

Spoiler Free Review of Dune Part Two

The Dune Part Two film was a hit at the box office. To date, it has grossed nearly $500 million globally.
Photo credit: Warner Bros. Pictures

The heavily anticipated film Dune: Part Two was released on March 1st this year. It has done exceptionally well at the box office, surpassing the lifetime gross of the first Dune released in 2021 by grossing nearly $500 million globally. This was to be expected as the first Dune was also a hit, mainly because it is an adaption of the popular sci-fi book series Dune. Of course, the star-studded cast with actors like Zendaya and Timothee Chalamet and newly introduced characters played by Florence Pugh and Austin Butler played a factor in the film’s success. 

To give some background, the sequel picks up where the first movie left off. In the first film, the main character, Paul Atreides, fights to protect the home planet his family rules in the midst of a war regarding the most valuable asset, spice. It ends with him surviving a near-death experience, and part two begins shortly after this. 

First, the film is cinematically stunning. It features gorgeous landscapes that feel very realistic. For example, the Harkonnen planet, including the characters, features an all-black-and-white scene, which creates an ominous feeling and atmosphere. Also, the costumes and designs are incredibly made; nothing feels ‘tacky’ or out of place. To say the least, the cinematography is truly excellent, and the film’s aesthetic is unique and immersive. 

The film also showcases plenty of action and even some one-on-one fight scenes. This definitely elevates its excitement in comparison to the first film. Additionally, the plot and dialogue were well executed. There was never a moment that felt unnecessary, and the movie had a nice flow. The actors also had incredible performances that made the film so enticing; Elise Doty (10) comments, “I loved the acting in this movie; their performances made it more emotional.” Lastly, the movie is, in fact, a faithful adaptation of the books, which many readers appreciate.

I loved the acting in this movie; their performances made it more emotional.”

— Elise Doty (10)

My only complaint is that the ending felt abrupt. It was almost as if the climax was at the movie’s end, making it feel rushed. However, this could be a great cliffhanger for the next film. It is also important to note that the movie can be confusing to nonreaders who are not fully knowledgeable of the Dune world. 

All in all, the movie was a fantastic experience. It contained phenomenal acting and intense sequences. It has beautiful cinematography and is primarily loyal to the books. I recommend it in theaters, especially to readers of the Dune saga.