American Idol Season 1 Finale Recap

Maddie Poppe wins American Idol 2018.

Maddie Poppe wins American Idol 2018.

Courtesy of ABC

Courtesy of ABC

Maddie Poppe wins American Idol 2018.

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

This first season of American Idol on ABC was full of twists, turns, surprises, and of course, astounding singing. Season 1 on ABC premiered with the star-studded judges, Katy Perry, Luke Bryan, and Lionel Richie. They rebooted the singing talent show with a fresh new style of critiquing, making it a very memorable journey. The last three singers standing were Maddie Poppe, Caleb Lee Hutchinson, and Gabby Barrett. The finale was split into two parts, a two hour show on May 20, and another two hour show with the results on May 21. Because it was full of talent and fun, a recap is in action. *Spoilers to come*

Day One started off with the contestants’ finale songs were amazing, nonetheless. Gabby sang “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey which wowed the crowd and was dedicated to the people of Pittsburgh. Her performance even got a standing ovation by Journey’s lead singer, Steve Perry. Caleb sang “Folsom Prison Blues” by Johnny Cash. This performance cemented his spot as a heartthrob this season. The real amazing performance was Maddie’s. She sang “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac. With all of her story-telling emotion put into one song, judge, Katy Perry, even stated that she would vote for Maddie.

During the show, a medley of original songs performed by some of the past Idol contestants. “Harper Grace performed “Yard Sale,” Jonny Brenns performed “Blue Jeans,” Michelle Sussett performed “I’m a Dreamer,” and Catie Turner performed “21st Century Machine” (ABC). By far the most original year, this first season showcased the most singer-songwriters than any other season.

Day Two of the finale had many more shocks and surprises. One of which being that Caleb and Maddie’s secret relationship. Caleb brought it up after receiving his news that the two have been a couple for a while now, not knowing that they would end up the final two standing. Gabby was announced the second runner-up for season one. She seemed pretty okay with her placing and was applauded for by the audience. The last two were Maddie and Caleb. As they stood there, Ryan Seacrest dimmed the lights for the last time this season and was ready to give out the results. Seacrest announced that Maddie Poppe was the winner of American Idol 2018. The crowd went wild and stood up in applause.

Maddie sang her coronation song, “Going, Going, Gone” which she could hardly get the words out to, due to her excitement. The top 10 joined her onstage to help her finish the tune. The streamers fell from the ceiling and the show ended on a high note. For many students watching at home were quite surprised like Savannah Pietsch (10), who stated “I thought the outcome of American Idol was overall pretty good. I originally favored Gabby Barrett who got third, but I ended up leaning towards Caleb Lee Hutchinson winning. I was happy to see Maddie Poppe win, but she wasn’t my favorite contestant. I think she is an amazing singer, but in the end I really wanted Caleb to win.” In the end, there is a second season of Idol in our future and for now viewers can wait and see Maddie Poppe’s success for the future.

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor
Stephen Serrano is a junior at Yorba Linda High School. He is currently serving his second year as a Section Editor and his third year as a part of The Wrangler. Stephen is apart of numerous clubs and extracurriculars on campus. To name a couple, he is a board member in Red Cross and WE...