The Pickle Craze

Leilah Huttner
The Pickle Craze is here! From popcorn to pickle soda, pickle flavored items seem to be gaining in popularity.

In the past few months, an unexpected craze took the internet by storm. PICKLES! Although these may be one of the most controversial vegetables at the supermarket, they have recently caught the attention of many. From pickle Valentine’s Day bouquets to pickle jar hoodies, it seems like the spotlight on pickles may never dim. But why are these crunchy cucumbers suddenly the talk of the town?

Many attribute the recent gain in fame of these fermented vegetables to social media. In today’s society, social media is the center of teenage lives. According to explodingtopics.com, teens in the United States spend, on average, eight hours and two minutes of screen time on their phones per day. To put that in perspective, that is 175,930 minutes a year! The majority of entertainment and media teenagers consume these days is through popular social media apps such as TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, and YouTube. If one popular influencer posts that they are eating a certain brand of pickles, their followers will follow suit. For example, the brand “Grillo’s Pickles” has grown significantly in popularity because of this new trend. Junior Katie says, “I absolutely love Grillo’s Pickles! Grillos are perfect for pickle lovers who enjoy a tangy and crunchy tickle, and I love how it’s not too salty! I have yet to find a pickle brand that can top Grillos” (Katie Ruoo 11). With a description like that, it is hard not to go buy a jar of Grillo’s Pickles! 

I don’t understand why pickles have gained so much popularity recently

— Ishana Jansen 11

However, no trend would be complete without its fair share of controversy. Because of the fermented flavor of pickles, many are either hesitant to try pickles or find them revolting. Junior Ishana says, “I don’t understand why pickles have gained so much popularity recently. I’ve tried to get on the trend and give them a chance but it’s so hard to eat them when they are messy and smell like vinegar. They are not my favorite” (Ishana Jansen 11). To be prepared, pickles have to soak in a brine for a long period to absorb the acidic dill flavor.

But it’s not just about the taste—pickles have also become a symbol of nostalgia and comfort for many people. It is a tradition in many families to make pickles together around the holidays or even just for a cold crunchy snack on a hot summer day. The method of pickling is quite easy and the ingredients are accessible to most families at the local grocery store. But the most surprising part of the pickle craze is the diversity of pickle connoisseurs. Pickles are no longer just a niche food- they’re now mainstream, enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds. Whether you’re a pickle purist who prefers them straight from the jar or someone who likes to get creative with pickle-flavored snacks, there’s something for everyone in the world of pickles.