Why You Should Consider Taking German with Frau Picciotta

Frau Picciota, the German teacher at YLHS, excited to cheer for her favorite soccer team!

When choosing which language to take in highschool, the first language that comes to mind is usually Spanish. It is considered to be the easiest and most useful language. This leads to other languages such as German being overlooked, even though other languages also have so many advantages. Such as academic, traveling, economic, and cultural advantages. 

Academically German is considered to be an easier language to learn compared to languages with complex grammar structures, especially if you speak english. The German teacher at YLHS, Frau Daniela Picciota (S) even says “German is quite similar to English, especially when it comes to beginning vocabulary.” and that both

German is quite similar to English, especially when it comes to beginning vocabulary”

— Frau Picciota

English and German “share many core vocabulary words and have many cognates (words that are similar).” In my experience I have found that German is in fact very similar to English which has helped me excel in the curriculum. 

It’s also a unique subject that will set you apart from other students and help you stand out when applying to colleges. Frau Piciotta says, “Learning German will set you apart from other students and will help you in your future because many college majors recommend German and there are many US companies who would like their employees to know German.“ 

Also economically “Germany is America’s biggest European trading partner and many German companies have offices/factories here.” It is a huge advantage to know German if you are looking to enter any career paths that have to do with international business, hospitality, technology, science and research, translation and interpretation, and international relations.

Another reason to consider taking German is because of the kind and understanding teacher, Frau Picciota. In my time in Frau’s class I have learned many things, including that learning can be fun.​​ Frau makes it easy to learn and remember the curriculum as well as making it interesting and fun. We always partake in student-involved activities. She understands that we all learn at a different pace and says “I want new students to know that I am very patient and helpful. As long as they are willing to try, I will help them succeed.” Which is very true. It is very obvious that Frau is passionate and loves to teach her mother speech. She says, “teaching my first language helps me stay connected to my home country because I would not use the language very much otherwise.” 

Although German is her first language she also wants students to know that even though “German is definitely my favorite because it is so close to my heart, I also enjoy teaching French and ELD. It makes me feel happy and proud when I see my students learn a new language”. I 100% recommend taking German. If you are coming to Yorba Linda High School, you can check out Frau Picciota’s page on the website! It is a class you won’t regret taking.