My Favorite High Protein Snacks

Cozymeal
Including more protein and cutting out processed foods in your daily diet has so many health benefits!

With my lacrosse season coming up, I’ve tried my best to maintain a high-protein healthy diet for optimum results while I’m exercising. With this in mind, I’ve been doing a lot of research as to what are the best high-protein snacks that taste good for my long days.

One of my favorite things I’ve found is cottage cheese. It is a super versatile ingredient that tastes good. At only about 90 calories a serving with 12 grams of protein, it fits perfectly with my criteria. One of my favorite ways to eat it is as pizza toast. All you have to do is toast a slice of sourdough bread, add some pesto or tomato sauce, add ⅓ of a cup of cottage cheese, and finish with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. It’s super satisfying yet tasty. If I am craving something sweet, I add strawberries and honey and it’s surprisingly good. 

“Lately I’ve been eating trail mix as a snack in between meals.Just make sure it has pistachios and almonds as those are the nuts highest in protein”.

— Sarah Bennani (12)

If I am really in a pinch and want something on the go, I really like protein bars and protein shakes. My favorite shakes are from Fairlife and Alani Nu, specifically the munchies flavor. For protein bars, I recommend Barbells which you can get from Trader Joe’s, or Fit-Crunch which you can get from almost any grocery. 

Another thing I like as a light snack is apples with either peanut or almond butter or cucumbers with cream cheese/ hummus and “everything but the bagel” seasoning from Trader Joe’s. 

If I want a filling and refreshing breakfast, my current obsession is Greek yogurt parfaits. Greek yogurt is the ideal healthy and high-protein option with 20 g of protein per serving. In addition to being a great source of protein, greek yogurt is high in calcium, which is so important for bone health. I add a protein granola to the yogurt which they sell in all grocery stores. I also add honey and some fresh fruit. When I’m having a savory breakfast, I go for two sunny-side-up eggs with hot sauce and cheese. 

In my search, I asked some of my peers at Yorba Linda High School, and Sarah Bennani (12) commented, “Lately I’ve been eating trail mix as a snack in between meals. Just make sure it has pistachios and almonds as those are the nuts highest in protein.” These are just some of my favorites, but if you are interested in upping the protein in your meals, I encourage you to do some research and find meals that are perfect for you and your preferences.