“Remember the Ladies”

March is Women's History Month

“Remember the Ladies”

To signify Women’s History Month, we remember the significant women throughout history.

Space for Love

Space for Love

Space for Love

Mabel Ra, Editor

For as long as the world can record, women have been an essential element to the betterment of society and global advancements. Women– as mighty as they are– have long been underrepresented. However, the month of March is dedicated to Women’s History Month. To commemorate this, we remember the strong women who conquered diligently throughout time.

Abigail Adams

Abigail Adams was the second First Lady of the United States of América, alongside President John Adams. She was a self-educated woman who advocated for women’s rights at an early age. During the long periods of time when John Adams would be afar due to wartime separation, Abigail Adams would frequently write letters to John about her private and public life, beliefs, observations, and inquiries. She would commonly reference her belief system regarding women’s rights. In 1776, Adams wrote to her husband to “remember the ladies.”

Florence Nightingale

Florence Nightingale was a respected nurse during the 1800s. At a young age, Nightingale aided to the ill and the poor, and by 16 years of age, she determined her calling to the field of nursing. When the Crimean War took place, female nurses were uncommon; however, in 1854, Nightingale was invited to care for the injured soldiers in Crimea. Nightingale dedicated her time to healing the soldiers, writing reports to encourage military hospital reforms, and establishing medical services, such as the St. Thomas’ Hospital.

Marie Curie

Marie Curie was an incredibly bright woman, who excelled in physics and chemistry. Alongside her husband Pierre, Curie investigated radioactivity, discovering new elements Polonium and Radium. She is a two-time Nobel Prize Winner, including her 1903 Nobel Prize for Physics and her 1911 Nobel Prize for Chemistry. With the Curies’ research, development with x-rays in surgeries was allowed to advance, and Marie was invited to work for the International Red Cross as head of the radiological service.

Malala Yousafzai

In the present day, Malala is an inspiring voice for her activism in female education. Malala was born and raised in the country of Pakistan, where she actively expressed her criticism of the Taliban, a militant group. In 2010, Malala was targeted by the Taliban in retaliation of her recognition. After recovering in the United Kingdom, Malala continued to proclaim her passion for girls’ education, shedding light on poverty and violence, while highlighting equality.

As such, women play an essential role, whether it be in the house, in the workplace, in the community, in the country, or in the world. The few names noted do not represent the entirety of women’s’ achievements. In fact, Kaitlyn Kraack (11) calls Susan B. Anthony her favorite woman due to her “modernization of the feminist movement“ and “standing up for what she believed in.” Capable and strong, women are the future of this world.

Mabel Ra, Section Editor

Mabel Ra is a current senior at Yorba Linda High School. As she approaches her last year at YLHS, she has notably dedicated her time to the Wrangler Newspaper...