Taylor Swift’s Surprise at the Grammys

The Hollywood Reporter
Swift accepted her Album of the Year Grammy while announcing to the world that she is going to be putting out a brand new album called The Tortured Poets Department.

Taylor Swift is no stranger to the Grammys; in fact, she is an expert when it comes to the field. Swift had won 12 Grammys prior to the 2024 Grammys on February 4. This year at the prestigious event, she took home two Grammys which included album of the year and best pop vocal album for her 2022 released album Midnights. However, that was not the only talk of Taylor Swift at the Grammys, for she had something even bigger planned than just winning two grammys. 

When Swift went up the stage to accept her Album of the Year Grammy, at the very end, she let everyone know “[her] brand new album comes out April 19. It’s called The Tortured Poets Department.” Fans were ecstatic as the whole room erupted into applause. This is not the first time Swift has announced a brand new album at an awards show; at the VMAs in 2022, Swift revealed to her fans while accepting an award that she was going to be coming out with a brand new album called Midnights (now the two time Grammy winning album).

Fans were very quick to talk about the new announcement, and there were a lot of different opinions. Some believe the album is going to be similar to her past album Folklore, which is more alternative, folksy, and indie, while others believe her new album is going to be similar to her album Midnights, which is more synth-pop and electropop. 

When hearing the new album title for the first time, many fans were surprised by how long the title was compared to the rest of her discography. Her past albums consist of names such as Taylor SwiftFearlessSpeak NowRed1989ReputationLoverFolkloreEvermore, and Midnights. So, fans were shocked that Swift would not follow her usual pattern of one- or two-word titles. Many believe that Swift’s new album is going to be focused on Swift’s most recent breakup with her long-term boyfriend, Joe Alwyn. Songs such as “Lover,” “London Boy,” “Cornelia Street,” and so many more are written about Alwyn, and fans are excited to see what emotionally poignant songs Swift has ready for her audience.

“[she is] so excited for Taylor’s new album. [she knows] she’s been through a rough break up so the songs are gonna be very emotional. The album title is also unique from what Taylor has done in the past.”

— Rania Sawhney

Either way, whether fans are still trying to figure out her album piece by piece, fans are still excited. Yorba Linda High School student Rania Sawhney (11), expressed that “[she is] so excited for Taylor’s new album. [she knows] she’s been through a rough break up so the songs are gonna be very emotional. The album title is also unique from what Taylor has done in the past.” Whether the album is everything Swifties expect or not, it is pretty certain that the album is going to rise to the top of the charts.