Winter Sports Recap

With winter coming to a close, our amazing YLHS teams showcased their talent this season. Each sport made the playoffs this year, proving our athletes’ impeccable talent. Congratulations to all the winter sports: men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s basketball, women’s water polo, wrestling, and cheer and song! Now let’s take a look at everyone’s amazing season…

Starting with men’s soccer, this team had much to prove after losing in their league last season. They started their season very strong, going on a 4 game-winning streak in near sweeps. The Mustangs continued to take first in the North Hills league, going 4-2. To continue their season, the boys qualified for the CIF playoffs. They won the first two rounds, 5-0 against Valley Christian and 7-2 against Orange Vista. However, they lost in a tough battle to Upland in a 2-2 game. Nonetheless, we are still so inspired by their grit for making it this far in their season. Good job to our men’s soccer team!

Also on the field, the women’s soccer team proved their pure talent. They have 3 college commits and so many more talented girls. As a team of 13 seniors, these girls had so much heart in every game. While the girls instantly clicked, they were able to make so many beautiful memories this season. In a tough Crestview league, they took 3rd place with a 1-1-4 record. They still had an amazing 14-3-4 overall record before the playoffs. They went on to defeat Saugus first round 5-2. Sadly, their season ended in the second round to Notre Dame. We are still so proud of these girls, congratulations on an amazing season! Olivia Mehta (11) described, “The talent on the team is insane. You can just tell that some of these girls were born to play soccer.”

You can just tell that some of these girls were born to play soccer.

— Olivia Mehta (11)

In the gym, the men’s basketball team had an amazing year. After losing key players from the previous season, the team had to make new adjustments. In their first tournament of the season, the Mustangs took first place at the Gary Raya Classic at El Dorado High School. They also went to Florida where they were able to build their team chemistry and face a diversity of teams. In the Crestview, they placed 3rd going 1-5 facing tough teams and battling until the end each time. Orlando Laws (12) was named first-team all-league and Jordan Laws (11) was named second-team all-league. They were able to qualify for CIF playoffs with a record above .500. In the first round, they sadly lost to La Habra High School. They still had such an amazing season to be proud of!

The women’s basketball team had a similar season. After losing 6 seniors, the Lady Mustangs were a young team this year. Without any seniors this season, the team consisted of 5 juniors, 4 sophomores, and 1 freshman; this was a huge rebuilding year for them. They took some huge wins against teams like Cypress, winning in 2 close games against them. The girls were named consolation champions in Marina’s Larry Doyle Tournament of Champions before going into the North Hills League. They placed 3rd in the league, despite a great upset against Canyon High School. Also qualifying for CIF, they faced Cerritos High School and unfortunately lost. We are so excited to see these girls next season, huge congratulations to them!

In the water, the women’s water polo team showed their strength in the pool. They started their season strong with big wins in the Benson Cup tournament, beating Valencia 11-4 and El Dorado 17-9. The girls had to face a lot of adversity due to the poor weather, continuing to play through harsh rain and extremely cold weather. They placed 2nd in the North Hills league, advancing them to the playoffs. In the first round, they matched up against Marlborough High School and sadly lost.

On the wrestling mats, these boys and girls left it all out on the floor. Competing in numerous tournaments–Cossarek Classic, Mann Classic, and Blackwatch Tournament- many of these wrestlers had such impeccable matches. The team had 9 CIF qualifiers from the girls and the guys. Two players, Robert Oropeza (11) and Santiago Salas (11), placed for Masters Qualifiers; Jon Silvestri (12) was runner-up in Masters and qualified for state. Congratulations to all of our wrestlers!

Lastly, our cheer and song teams have worked so hard. Not only have they supported our teams on the sidelines, but they showcased their talent in nationals! With amazing choreography and coaching, both teams have practiced for hours each day to perfect their performance. Our song team traveled to Florida for the UDA Nationals and placed 6th in the nation for the large varsity pom advanced division. Such an amazing accomplishment from these girls! Our cheer team was local for the USA Nationals and competed against 36 other teams. They performed at the Anaheim Convention Center and placed 3rd! We are so proud of both teams this season and are inspired by their hard work!

With winter sports all ending, we are so excited to go into the spring season! Congratulations to all winter sports teams and good luck to the spring sports!