Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

YLHS Women’s Soccer Varsity Preseason Success

The+YLHS+Varsity+team+holding+up+their+plaque+after+winning+the+tournament.+
mmsportsphoto
The YLHS Varsity team holding up their plaque after winning the tournament.

The Yorba Linda High School Women’s Soccer Varsity team has had a fantastic preseason. At the beginning of the year, many people were doubting them as a team and how successful they would be, but they proved everyone wrong. They worked hard every day in preseason, running twice a week and practicing the other three days to prepare them for the tough season ahead.

The varsity team comprises 25 girls, Head Coach Kino, Assistant Coach Emma, and captains Mia Corder, Madeline Kerr, and Emma Perron. 

At the end of the preseason, they ended with a record of 11-1-1 and made program history. 

On November 16, 2023, the Mustangs took on Santa Ana and ended with a win of 2-0. Then, the first week of December was challenging but rewarding for the varsity women. They played in The Sal Marroquin Memorial Classic against Fullerton High School, winning 3-0, then winning 2-0 against Richard Gahr High School, and a 5-0 win against Bellflower High School, which clinched them a spot to play in the championship game against CA Girls and they won 5-0. The Mustangs won the tournament, and this was the beginning of the path to an outstanding preseason.  

Following the tournament, they played OLU the next day after four games. After this game, it showed the Mustangs will fight till the end and work together even after being sore from many games. Sadly, our varsity women tied the game 1-1. However, this will be their only tie in the preseason. 

Onto the next game, the 2023-2024 YLHS Women’s Soccer Varsity team made program history by winning against Eleanor Roosevelt. One of three captains, Madeline Kerr (12), expresses, “My favorite memory is beating Roosevelt since it is the first time our program ever has.” Without a doubt, this was one of the most challenging games Yorba Linda played in preseason, but they were confident they could do it. The game started rocky by losing, but the Mustangs fought until the end and won 3-2.

After seven games in eight days, the Mustangs had their first preseason loss against Santa Margarita. A hard battle against a good opponent helped the Mustangs learn and improve. 

The following games were more wins to add to their record. They were starting with a 2-0 win against Mission Viejo. The following game was against Tustin, with a 5-0 win. Their last preseason game against La Mirada in the pouring rain. It was a hard battle to stay focused and win the final game of preseason. The Mustangs went in with a fight and won the game 2-1.

Also, being captain of this team has been so rewarding. I love watching us all compete; this team is exceptional and deserves a lot of success

— Madeline Kerr (12)

Captain Madeline Kerr conveys, “I think our preseason is successful because of our competitive attitude and willingness to fight. Also, being captain of this team has been so rewarding. I love watching us all compete; this team is exceptional and deserves a lot of success.” Congratulations to our 2023-2024 Women’s Varsity Soccer team. Good luck in the league, and make our school proud.