Something New at Yorba Linda High School

The Ultimate Frisbee club holds up a sign in order to get the attention of their peers. They even added a real frisbee to the sign, making sure everyone knew what their club was about.

Megan Teeling

Delaney Pietsch, Photojournalist

Club Rush was held a few weeks ago, and there were a few new faces in the quad. Everyone is used to the major clubs that run Yorba Linda High School like American Red Cross, Future Business Leaders of America, We Club, HOSA, and many more. These clubs attract different people based on their reputations. While these major clubs may be a big focus point, the anticipation of new clubs is what really makes the two days worth while.

This year, there were many different kinds of clubs displayed at Club Rush. Many students enjoyed the chance to sign up for a club that offered something different than what they have already seen in years past.

One of these clubs being the amazing Mustang’s Care club founded by freshman Sydney Kim. This club focuses on helping the troops fighting in wars and natural disasters. When this club meets, they talk about different ways they can give back to these people that are putting their lives on the line for our safety. One of the things they do is make care packages that include blankets and many other useful things.

Sydney Kim (9), states the reason behind the club was her family. She said that one year her household “collected supplies and made care packages.” There was also another organization that helped her come up with this idea, Molly’s Adopt-a-Sailor. She said what brought this idea to life was “when Hurricane Harvey hit”. She was “talking to [her] mom about seeing what [she] could do and that kind of sprouted” into the club she has made now.

Another club that attracted a lot of attention was Cancer 4 Cause. Jayden Hawley and a few other sophomores created this club to shed a light on the dreary hospitals these patients have to sit in for months and even years. They do this by encouraging patients with cards and gifts that are donated to them.  

One of the most energetic club at the event was the Ultimate Frisbee club. They had one of their members, Marco Gazich (12), running around the quad asking people to join and he even brought frisbees to play with people. They meet on occasion, and hold ultimate frisbee games.

Lastly, a club that was made after the week of Club Rush is called the Mustang Recycling Club. Freshman Kayla Chao is one of the members running this club that focuses on the importance of recycling. They have set up trash bins throughout the school for each grade level. Each grade can recycle throughout the month, and the grade that wins gets a prize. This is a fun club that is good for the environment and gives each grade level a little competition.

These are all amazing clubs, and Yorba Linda High School is very happy to welcome them. If these clubs seem interesting, there is still a way to sign up. Ask one of the clubs many members and they can provide the information and Remind regarding the upcoming activities and meetings.