The Lost City Of Z

Movie Review

The Lost City of Z
(Photo courtesy of Google)

The Lost City of Z (Photo courtesy of Google)

Wayne Chan, Photojournalist

Disclaimer: This article reveals twists and important details integral to the plot

Overall, The Lost City of Z was an interesting film detailing the epic struggles of Percy Fawcett against disbelief and ignorance in discovering an uncovered civilization. However, the movie became too fixated in details and side stories tantamount to nothing critical to the plot.

First, the film was too committed to chronology. Certain events and scenes displayed in the movie were unnecessary seeing as how no specific point or pivotal detail was introduced. For example, after being exposed to chlorine gas in World War I, Percy Fawcett was told by the doctor he would never return to the jungle ever again. Shortly after that scene, Percy Fawcett returns to the jungle. In another scene, Percy Fawcett refuses to allow his wife to accompany him on his second journey into Amazonia. The couple argue and exchange ideals representative of the modern day controversy surrounding feminism. This scene is completely unnecessary not because any particular side being correct or the nature of the ideals, but rather because in the end Nina Fawcett, Percy’s wife, was denied voyage either way. It became a scene of five minutes of argument that resulted in no change to the plot or any comprehensive characterization. This unhealthy devotion to gratuitous detail caused the movie to lack a proper climax or any real antagonist.

Throughout the movie, Percy Fawcett and his crew made three different trips into Amazonia. Each time they journeyed into the jungle, it felt as if the zenith of the film would soon be unraveled. However, disappointedly, the crew just returned to the safety and security of Europe. The film had its exciting points and dull moments. The dull moments were too dull and the exciting moments were not exciting enough. Furthermore, the film lacked an antagonist. An argument could be made that James Murray or the general bigotry of the era was Percy Fawcett’s antagonist; yet the opposition he faced was of no significance and Percy Fawcett had his journeys in the jungle with relative ease. Therefore the different resistances he encountered would be more appropriately considered enemies rather than the nemesis.

These issues constituted a rather slow paced film of two hours and 21 minutes. Although the film cannot compare to the excitement and the emotional rollercoaster of the action or horror genre, the film is overall still an interesting film featuring the true account of an explorer.