Upcoming Wonka Film Set To Hit Theaters

+The+new+Wonka+movie+set+to+hit+theaters+on+December+15%2C+2024%2C+starring+Timothee+Chamalet+as+Willy+Wonka.+%0A
Credit: Collider.com
The new Wonka movie set to hit theaters on December 15, 2024, starring Timothee Chamalet as Willy Wonka.

“See, I’m something of a magician, inventor, and chocolate maker. Quiet up and listen down. Nope. Scratch that, and reverse it,” quoted Wonka in the new Wonka trailer. Since the announcement in 2021, the long-anticipated prequel Wonka is deemed to be released on December 15, 2024. 

Based on the classic character revolving around Roald Dahl’s 1964 best-selling children’s book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, “Wonka” is a fresh take that tells the wondrous story of how the world’s most significant patron of magic and chocolate became the beloved Willy Wonka we love today. The book retells the story of Willy Wonka, an odd yet glorious genius. In the past two movies, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, Wonka has initially been a side character trying to locate his next successor through a series of tests of strength through moral values. 

“I adore the cast and am very excited for this new movie. I feel that it’ll be just as large of a success as the previous two”

— Journey Mou (10)

The character was first brought to life by Gene Wilder in 1971; in 2005, Johnny Depp furthered Wonka’s story. From the directors of Paddington and Producers of Harry Potter, the upcoming 2023 film will focus on answering how Willy Wonka got his start when he met the Oompa Loompas and his lifelong devotion and undying passion for candy. While also avoiding the limitations of the Chocolate Cartel and a society that doesn’t dream, Wonka pushes to the limits of creativity and dreams. The answers to questions will be in the form of a musical! Yes! Chamalet has officially confirmed the upcoming sequel to have seven musical numbers. 

Not only does this movie include the up-and-coming Timothee Chalamet as he puts on his new uniform as Willy Wonka, but the movie also has a profound cast, according to Warner Bros.Pictures. Starring alongside Chalamet are Calah Lane (“The Day Shall Come”), Emmy and Peabody Award winner Keegan-Michael Key (“The Prom”), Paterson Joseph (“Noughts + Crosses”), Matt Lucas (“Paddington,” “Little Britain”), Mathew Baynton (“The Wrong Mans,” “Ghosts”), Sally Hawkins-Oscar Nominee (“The Shape of Water,” the “Paddington” films, “Spencer”), Rowan Atkinson (the “Johnny English” and “Mr. Bean” films, “Love Actually”), Jim Carter (“Downton Abbey”), with Oscar winner Olivia Colman (“The Favourite”). The film also stars Natasha Rothwell (“White Lotus,” “Insecure”), Rich Fulcher (“Marriage Story,” “Disenchantment”), Rakhee Thakrar (“Four Weddings and a Funeral”), Tom Davis (“Paddington 2,” “King Gary”) and Kobna Holdbrook-Smith (“Paddington 2,” “Zack Snyder’s Justice League,” “Mary Poppins Returns”). 

“I adore the cast and am very excited for this new movie. I feel it’ll be just as large of a success as the previous two,” stated Journey Mou (10). 

Initially, the upcoming Wonka film was supposed to reach theaters on March 17, 2023; however, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the restriction of in-person audiences and cinemas, the film was pushed back till December 15, 2023. However, it will not be able to be streamed on HBO MAX until three months post-release, according to TeenVOUGE

View Comments (9)