Fun Activities for the Christmas Season

Natalie Waters
People surround this giant Christmas tree in joy of the upcoming Christmas season

The Christmas season is approaching fast. The weekend after Thanksgiving, Christmas lights are strung along the roof, and Christmas decorations are displayed across the lawn. The artificial trees are brought out from the attic with lights already attached, or the family takes a trip to the Christmas tree farm to buy a fresh, real tree. Ornaments are strategically placed on the tree, and garlands are hung along the mantle with lights and sparkly bulbs. The air feels icier, so sweaters are brought out from the bottom of the closet. Stores get busier, and items begin to go on sale. The Christmas season brings happiness and joy to all it touches, and there are a few fun local activities to help get you into the Christmas spirit. 

First, visit a Christmas tree farm. If you have an artificial Christmas tree, you won’t be getting a tree from a Christmas tree farm, but it is still a fun event for your friends or family. Most Christmas tree farms serve hot beverages, and you can walk through forests of flocked trees with workers wearing smiling faces and scarves. You should consider taking a trip to this classic Christmas location.

Next, see a Christmas play at Segerstrom Center for the Arts. See the classic Nutcracker ballet playing this season or The Grinch play. It is a fun event to get dressed up and see with a loved one. 

A great restaurant to attend this Christmas season is Summit House. During December, Summit House is dressed in Christmas decorations everywhere you look. It’s not overwhelming or chaotic, and it’s classy. The lighting and atmosphere are what one imagines when sitting by the fireplace on Christmas morning. Carolers come to each table to sing a Christmas song of your choosing, and the food is some of the best. It is a bit pricey but worth every penny for this essential Christmas experience.

Lastly, you can see Christmas lights in the Brea Eagle Hills Neighborhood. Nearly every house goes out each Christmas season to give viewers a fantastic Christmas light experience. It does get crowded, but it is fun to see the lights, especially with all the other smiling faces watching with you. Often, there is music, people sitting outside laughing around the fireplace, or even carolers singing to each car that passes. Naomi Peralta (12) claims her favorite activity is “simply decorating [her] home with [her] family for Christmas.” 

I love simply decorating my home with my family for Christmas

— Naomi Peralta (12)

Whatever you decide to do this Christmas, wherever you decide to go, I wish you a warm and exciting Christmas season this year Mustangs!

View Comments (8)