Mustangs and Winter Break

Mustangs had two weeks off for Winter Break. Photo courtesy of Clipart Kid

Mabel Ra, Photojournalist

YLHS  students were recently able to enjoy a relaxing two week break from school. From December 19, 2016, to January 2, 2017, Mustangs spent their free time enjoying the winter, the relaxation of no homework, and of course, the joyful holidays. With Christmas and New Year’s being widely celebrated, Winter Break was definitely an appreciated holiday gift.

Many students took this time to relax and have a good time with friends and family. Juliette Fournier (10) had an eventful break, “I had a great time visiting Warner Bros Studios in Hollywood. I even got to see the set for La La Land, where they filmed the scene in the restaurant she worked at.” In addition to experiencing a studio tour, Juliette visited Manhattan beach with her family and younger sisters, “It was extremely nice and the view was beautiful. The temperature was also surprisingly good, but the water was cold.” Also, Juliette watched the currently widely viewed Star Wars movie, Rogue One, which she added was “pretty good.”

Another motivated student, Coco Xu (10) took the time of her winter break to dedicate her help to those in need. Over break, Coco kindheartedly joined to be a part of a kindhearted project set in the rural areas of China. By being a valuable member in this group, Coco worked as a volunteer for the category public health.As a volunteer in the public health region, her responsibilities included spreading helpful ideas to the people, as well as collecting data about the villagers and the conditions they live in to assess how the volunteers could better help them. As said by Coco, “Winter break is important because it gives you time to relax, spend time with family, visit different countries, and give back.” Without a doubt, Coco took advantage of her free time to join a fantastic cause and help those in need, while having an incredible and fun experience in China.

An additional Mustang Paige Richey (10) traveled and took a trip to the Big Apple. Staying in New York City to celebrate New Year’s, Paige had a fun-filled trip. Seeing the stage of where Night at the Museum was filmed, Paige recalled it being “really cool.” Also taking a stroll to Central Park, Paige enjoyed the view and the very cold weather. Of course New York always comes with a ride on the subway, which Paige tried and accidentally fell on top of someone else in the metro. As Paige said, “I had a great time in New York. It was my first time visiting there, and everything was extremely fun and festive but also a bit loud.”

Winter Break gives two weeks of free time to students for whatever they choose to do. From traveling the world to relaxing stress-free, Mustangs at YLHS made great memories and experiences during their time off of school.