The Mustang Business Academy

Starting Early on the Road to Success

Photo courtesy of Envato

Janet Han, Photojournalist

As colleges grow more and more competitive to get into and admission rates drop to an all time low, getting ahead is essential to obtaining admission to the college of one’s dreams. Above all, students strive to do things that their peers do not. The Mustang Business Academy (MBA) is the perfect opportunity for those who wish to achieve great things.

A unique program, the MBA consists of two different pathways, Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management and Business Management. Each one offers a different set of classes and opportunities for what students are most interested.

The Business Management path includes three classes: Introduction to Business, Business Communication & Technology, and Business Management & Leadership. In addition, an internship is required for the course, allowing students to obtain even more chances. Through these classes, important information can be learned, such as “about entrepreneurship and how being an entrepreneur is,” as Alice Ding (9) explains. By doing the internships, the students enrolled are also able to reach out and get good experiences in the real world.

Next, the Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management path includes three classes as well, Introduction to Culinary Arts, Culinary Arts, and Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management. These classes give the students chances to learn all about Culinary Arts, and also include an internship to give them a realistic experience.

Altogether, the MBA is a great chance for students at YLHS to get a head start on what they want to do in the future. By learning about topics usually not introduced at the high school level, these students will be at an advantage, one of the goals of the MBA. In addition, students can learn more about themselves, and discover whether or not they are suited for a certain career without investing money into it as they would for college. Sarah Chen (9) agrees saying that, “business taught me valuable lessons and helped me realize what career path I want to go on.”

By essentially giving MBA students a chance to take internships and try out having a job while still in high school, the MBA also allows them to transition better into being citizens of the real world. Through these internships, the students can learn skills that cannot be taught in a normal classroom setting. They also gain work experience, which can be vital to obtaining a job later on in life.

With so many deadlines and expectations for modern day high school students, starting early and trying new things while still in the high school years can be very beneficial. Full of chances and life changing lessons, the Mustang Business Academy is an amazing opportunity that should not be missed for students at YLHS.