The Art of Fashion

One popular fashion trend at the moment is vintage clothing.

(Photo Courtesy of Sarah Meadows)

(Photo Courtesy of Sarah Meadows)

Sarah Meadows, Photojournalist

Art is painting. Art is composing. Art is singing. Art is dancing. Indeed, art comes in various forms; however, forms of expression in the field of fashion are often omitted from the cosmic art world. Yet, just like paintings, just like compositions, just like songs, and just like dances, this form of artistic expression goes through various phases or trends. Although trends tend to influence others’ artwork, many wonder if these trends become so influential that all individualism is swept away from the individual’s art.

Walk through Yorba Linda High School, for instance, and notice the same black tank top, jean shorts, and checkered vans outfit on the preponderance of females. The ongoing debate is as to whether or not the degree of influence upon the average being has extended beyond mere influence and has become outright copying. Kylie Lynch (11) emphasized, “It is a known fact that people copy each others’ outfits. It would be kind of cool if they chose not to so that way people could see the diversity created by everyone’s own unique style. But the majority chooses to copy others. And that’s a fact.”

The question is, then, who are the influencers and the inspirers of fashion trends if everyone is copying each other? In a CNN article, “Coachella 2018: Why all music festival-goers look the same,” Shirine Saad analyzes where specific trends, such as those surrounding music festivals, stem from as she states, “The initial obsession with the celebrities who graced Glastonbury in rubber boots, short-shorts and vintage fur in the mid-aughts has spawned a global fashion aesthetic…” In other words, celebrities are the influences and the inspirers of fashion trends. Lexi Lacy (10) agreed that “celebrities start trends by posting pictures on social media of their day to day looks.”

Without a doubt, if everyone copies celebrities’ fashion, then the art of self-expression is lost in the fear of self-expression. Although expressing oneself artistically may be frightening, it is vital to preserve diversity. If not, people might as well wear uniforms on a daily basis. In fact, out of 25 high schoolers asked of all grades, ages, and genders, 21 of them voted against wearing uniforms. If that is the case, one may conclude that fashion is “cool.”

Thus, if Michelangelo copied Leonardo Da Vinci, then the same story would be told by different paint brushes. If Robert Frost copied William Shakespeare, then the same story would be told by different quills. And nobody wants to hear the same story. Period. End of story.  

Sarah Meadows, Photojournalist

Sarah Meadows is a sophomore at Yorba Linda High School, holding the position of a photojournalist for the school newspaper, The Wrangler. With a passion for writing, she decided to join the program after being recommended by upperclassmen. In her freetime she likes to write, read, and go to the beach. In fact, she aspires to write her own novel by the time of graduation. After graduation, Sarah wants to work in politics to fulfill her patriotism, and her all-time dream is becoming the President of the United States. Until then, she takes pride in her high school and is excited for her next three years there!