Celebrating Google, The Search Browser You Are Most Likely Using

Today
Google celebrates its birthday by not only reminiscing the past but also looking toward the future.

On September 27th, the world’s most popular search engine, Google, turned twenty-five years old. With twenty-five years comes many evolutions and progress, especially in something everchanging like technology.

Google celebrated its big year with a Google Doodle showcasing the different logos Google has had over the years. Since 1995, Google has had four different logos, all four having the signature blue, red, yellow, and green colors on the lettering. There was also a brief passage about Google and its reach all around the world. The writing also brings a hopeful note to the future of Google, saying more evolution would come with the future and people working together (Google Doodles).

Founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University, they ended up creating a search engine in their dorm rooms! The pair initially named this technology Backrub, then renamed it Google (CBS News).

Page and Brin decided on the name Google since it is a play on the word googol. Googol is a mathematical term for naming the number one followed by one hundred zeros. To the company, the name represents the vast amount of information a search engine has to filter through (ThoughtCo).

After a successful launch and a series of investments, Google kept growing and evolving. From the original search engine, Google ventured out to create Android phones, Google Talk (voice & text program), TVs, and Google Home. All of these developments led to Google becoming more and more successful, eventually becoming one of the most-used search engines (CNN Business).

In 2015, Google became part of the holding company Alphabet. This made Google not only a subsidiary company of Alphabet but also allowed Google to grow into industries outside of the search browser (Investopedia).

For their twenty-fifth birthday, Google revealed twenty-five fun facts about everything related to them. Some facts included were there is no limit to the tabs you are able to open on Google Chrome; in Gmail, you have a maximum of thirty seconds to unsend an email; more than five0thousand Google Doodles have been created; and there has been a daily average of seventy billion views on Youtube Shorts (Google).

I am so happy for Google’s 25th birthday! They help me out with everything and I can’t believe they have been around not that much longer than I have.

— Claire Leininger (10)

When asked about Google’s birthday, Claire Leininger (10) comments, “I am so happy for Google’s 25th birthday! They help me out with everything, and I can’t believe they have been around not that much longer than I have.” As Google continues to develop, new advancements are bound to be made. With the rapid growth of Artificial Intelligence, there is much to look forward to for our beloved search engine.