Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

Guide to High School

YLHS Wrangler Instagram
Publications at the 8th grade round-up, an event hosted by YLHS to encourage incoming freshmen to get involved and make new friends!

As the 2023-2024 school year is ending, everyone thinks about senior year experiences, but no one thinks about the 8th graders coming up to high school.  The promotion from middle school to high school may sound scary but as long as you come with an open mind everything will turn out great. 

There are many movies about high school, and let me just tell you right now; real high school is nothing like movie high school. There will be moments where it feels like a movie but for the most part, it’s the same as middle school.

Here are 5 things that can help you adjust to high school

1. Joining sports teams/clubs (get involved)

Last year, all the seniors and upperclassmen were extremely welcoming and they made my freshman year a year full of amazing memories.”

— Kelsey Ikemoto (10)

One way to meet new people and easily adjust to high school is by joining sports teams or other programs. Most sports teams here at Yorba Linda have summer camps so incoming freshmen can show off their skills and meet some people before the year starts. If you make the team, chances are you spend a lot of time with your new teammates, so it is important to build a strong relationship with them. It is also a way for you to meet current players/students. Befriending older kids can benefit you in the future because they have already experienced freshman year so if you have a question you can easily ask them. Kelsey Ikemoto (10) states: “Last year, all the seniors and upperclassmen were extremely welcoming and they made my freshman year a year full of amazing memories. Being a junior next year, I hope I can pay it forward, and guide a freshman through their first year of high school.” 

Plus most upperclassmen don’t admit it but they love having a little freshman to guide and treat as a younger sibling. 

1. Manage your time/ stay organized 

Time management is probably the most important skill that will help you succeed in high school and life. In middle school, you most likely get only around 5-7 total assignments per week, in high school the majority of teachers assign homework every day or every other day. If you are taking 6 classes and receive homework every day that is a total of 30 assignments per week. Due to the immense growth in workload, purchasing a planner or downloading a to-do list app can help you stay on top of your assignments. If you miss an assignment due date you will notice that it’s not as easy to catch up since you are now doing double the work. It is important to still make time for your friends and hang out, but that is where time management and balance are important. 

1. Build relationships with teachers

Most incoming freshmen are 14-15 years old, teen angst is either still happening or it is about to start. Nobody is “too cool” to talk and be respectful to teachers. Even if it’s not your favorite teacher, or it’s your least favorite subject, walk in every day with an open mind. You don’t have to be best friends with your teachers but build good relationships with them. After all, they can help give you recommendations when you apply for different programs or jobs. If you are struggling or are absent one day, a teacher who you are respectful to and have a good relationship with is more likely to give you extra time or extra help, as opposed to the teacher you are disrespectful to and don’t engage with. 

1. Get enough sleep 

In middle school since there isn’t much homework you might be hanging out with friends, watching TV, and staying up later at night. When you get to high school although the workload is so much heavier it is important to try to get to sleep at a reasonable hour. Lack of sleep will impact your performance during class, you might fall asleep, or if you have a test/quiz your brain might be foggy and you won’t score as well. This also goes hand in hand with managing your time, because if you don’t manage your time then you’re going to have to stay up late to complete the homework. 

1. Try new things (join different types of elective classes) 

High school is the time to figure out who you are, most likely you are not going to know 100% what you want to major in but the classes you enjoy in high school could lead you in a completely new direction, or just confirm the path you already had in mind. At the start of freshman year, or right now if you’re an 8th grader you might want to be a veterinarian but then after taking bio, chem, or anatomy, you might realize you aren’t the best or you don’t enjoy it. But then in your art class, you might notice that you enjoy making art and you’re receiving positive feedback from your projects. 

I spent so much time stressing over school that I did not live in the moment as much as I should’ve. So don’t spend high school stressing, enjoy it”

— Janvi Kheni (12)

Senior Janvi Kheni (12) states: “With graduation around the corner I’ve reflected on my time here at Yorba Linda, and I now see that I spent so much time stressing over school that I did not live in the moment as much as I should’ve. So don’t spend high school stressing, enjoy it”. There is no perfect guide to high school, but these tips can help you. Remember everyone who makes mistakes is also still learning, so no matter what it’s going to be great. Throughout your high school career there are going to be some low points but there are also going to be some amazing memories you make in high school that stick with you for life.