How Fear Constantly Holds Us Back From Living

Recently, I saw a video that really stood out to me and essentially inspired me to write about this idea. It stated “‘Maybe in another lifetime:’ no. This is literally all we get. Send that text. Go out on Friday. Tell your friends and family you love them. Be kind. Because you only get this life once, your life is not a game, you can’t replay this..” I was instantly moved after reading this, because I felt these were words I needed to hear, especially as a high schooler. 

What is the reason behind fear holding us back from opportunities? I feel that as teenagers, we tend to put so much depth and meaning behind small words and actions. We over analyze and interpret every text, invitation, and interaction we have with those around us. These are good things, but in the big scheme of things, these minor interactions do not have the weight we view them with. Because of this, we’re scared to tell people that one person how we feel, raise our hand in class, apply for that position, speak our minds, or go on that trip. We are always afraid of what might happen, that unlikely “what if.” Emily Laterneau (10) says “The things we are afraid of are usually the things that will fulfill us the most.” 

These many situations we avoid because of fear could just be the biggest blessing or the best experience of our lives. Hanging out with that new group may give you the sense of community and happiness you have been longing for. Telling someone you love them might just give them a sense of hope as well as strengthen and build your friendship. Complimenting someone or putting yourself out there will never go unnoticed. Stop fearing embarrassment or the opinions of others because these worldly things are temporary but your impact on others lasts forever. Audition for that role you are afraid to play or try out that sport that indimitates you. The worst thing that can happen is rejection, and if you never tried in the back of your mind you will always wonder how your life could have been different if you wouldn’t have let fear stop you. This video I saw ended with this virtue, “don’t hide behind your fears and ‘what ifs’, don’t leave any stones unturned if you felt the need to ever turn them.” 

The things we are afraid of are usually the things that will fulfill us the most

— Emily Laterneau

These words continue to resonate with me, and I hope all high schoolers and even adults can read them and integrate them into their everyday life. This can mean saying yes to coffee with an old friend, wearing an outfit out of your comfort zone, or even picking up a new hobby you’ve been reluctant to try. Whatever it means to you, prioritize living for yourself and not for the opinions of others, and never stop doing things that scare you.