Why Taking a Break From Social Media Might Be Best for You

Courtesy of Soda PDF

If you are looking for a way to improve your mental health and have more free time, then a social media fast will be beneficial to you!

Tiana Salisbury, Photojournalist

Over four billion people from around the world are involved in some type of social media, including Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok. According to FameMass, an individual spends roughly two and a half hours on social media each day, and teenagers spend over three hours each day. The time spent on social media cuts out of people’s daily lives by taking away from the time that could have been spent doing enjoyable activities that don’t require a digital setting. Social media’s addictive nature causes users to endlessly scroll through videos and posts, which has led a number of users to go on what they call a “social media fast.” 

The methods of social media fasting differ from person to person since each person has their own motive for giving up social media. For example, someone who finds it difficult to stay off social media during their free time may choose to temporarily delete their social media apps in hopes of finding alternative pastimes. Additionally, someone may feel overwhelmed by social media because as a content creator, they may have too much pressure to constantly post and satisfy their audience. 

Going on a social media fast provides a variety of benefits. Taking a break from the digital world allows people to spend more time on their hobbies. According to Inc. Magazine, the average person has over five hours of free time each day but spends over half on screens. Without social media, people no longer endlessly scroll for hours, which leaves them more time to try new activities and explore their interests. Spending more time on hobbies is definitely more enjoyable than falling into social media’s rabbit hole. As someone who has gone on a social media fast before, Megan Chou (10) agrees that taking time off from social media has allowed her to “do more of [her] hobbies and spend more quality time with [her] family.”

Without social media, people also find that they have fewer distractions. Social media’s addictivity is a magnet for procrastination, which is especially detrimental to students. According to the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, ninety percent of high-schoolers are active on social media. Students often find that time that could be used to study or complete homework is spent on social media. This causes some students to have difficulty completing their assignments, which can cause them to sleep at questionable hours, leading to poor academic performance the following day. By taking a break from social media, students can ensure that social media will not be a cause of distraction, which will allow for more time to study, which can even lead to an improvement in academic performance. In fact, a study by BMC Psychology found that the less time spent on social media, the higher a student’s grades.

Staying off of social media also allows people to avoid the negativity and pressure that is prevalent on various platforms. According to security.org, a study in 2020 found that 21 percent of 10 to 18-year-olds were cyberbullied. Though social media was created so that people could connect with each other and express their interests, many users have experienced hate for the content they post. As a result, these users are self-conscious of what they post because they fear that they will be judged by others. Since they constantly seek validation from others on social media, they often forget to put themselves first. Social media fasting removes the need to impress others and allows people to live freely without the constant fear of being judged, which makes them happiest.

Although social media allows us to stay connected with each other, taking a break from it might provide more benefits than you may think. Even if it is just for a few days, any time spent off of social media can have a drastic impact on you, your mental health, and even your lifestyle.