Solving Senioritis

Boston University
This is not the mentality you want to have, but too many have it.

Growing older comes with its fair share of hurdles, and for seniors, these challenges can sometimes feel like an uphill battle. For most people, senior is like the final level in a video game where you battle the boss. 

Ah, senior year of high school – supposed to be all about parties, prom, and prepping for the future. But let’s get real: it’s also a major stress-fest for many seniors. From grades to college apps to the infamous “senioritis,” it’s a rollercoaster of emotions and challenges. Although roller coasters can be frightening it is also “a wild ride, a time to celebrate accomplishments and look forward to the future.” – Ilana Perkins (12)

“a wild ride, a time to celebrate accomplishments and look forward to the future”

— Ilana Perkins (12)

So, what’s this senioritis anyway? Well, it’s like a bug that hits seniors as they near the finish line. They’ve been in school forever, and now they’re just over it. Motivation drops, and suddenly, skipping class and procrastinating become the norm. It’s not laziness; it’s just… senioritis. 

One of the toughest battles for high school seniors is the crazy pressure to be perfect at everything. Between tough classes, extracurriculars, and maybe even a part-time job, it’s like they’re expected to do it all. And let’s not forget about the dreadful monster known as college applications. The stress of trying to impress admissions officers while still keeping up with regular schoolwork can be overwhelming. Stress is a disease and as Durrah Ahmed (12) puts it “don’t be so stuck in how things might turn out that you miss out on the present.” To combat all this madness, seniors need to take care of themselves first. Whether taking a break to binge-watch Netflix, going for a run, or just hanging out with friends, finding time to chill can help keep stress levels in check.

“don’t be so stuck in how things might turn out that you miss out on the present”

— Durrah Ahmed (12)

It’s also crucial for seniors to reach out for support when they need it. Teachers, counselors, and parents are there to help, so don’t be afraid to ask for guidance or a pep talk when things get tough. Sometimes, just knowing that someone’s got your back can make all the difference.

Another solution is goal setting. They don’t have to be huge, life-changing ones, but setting small, achievable goals can help seniors stay focused and motivated and whether it’s finishing a homework assignment or finally getting around to filling out those college apps, every little win counts. “Of course, there will be ups and downs,” Christianna Hawkins (12) states, “but it is important to think about the positive aspects of now and the future” Another crucial key to success is time management. Learning how to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively can be a game-changer. It’s all about finding a balance between school, extracurriculars, and downtime – and sticking to it.

“Of course, there will be ups and downs, but it is important to think about the positive aspects of now and the future”

— Christianna Hawkins (12)