Summer Scrolling

Yorba+Linda%E2%80%99s+public+library+and+cultural+arts+center+opened+fairly+recently%2C+and+it+is+sure+to+be+a+valuable+resource+when+looking+for+summer+reads.+

Emily Eslao

Yorba Linda’s public library and cultural arts center opened fairly recently, and it is sure to be a valuable resource when looking for summer reads.

Emily Eslao, Section Editor, Cartoonist

The summer following this tumultuous school year will certainly be a time to relax and rewind. Lethargy of quarantine has likely stirred an interest in our new hobbies, and summer gives yet another chance to reignite that motivation. One of the best ways to take full advantage of our newfound leisure time would be reading. Literature is proven to be one of the most effective forms of escapism, and it allows us to engage ourselves in something that can only be beneficial mentally, emotionally, and oftentimes academically. Reading gives one the chance to stray from self-obligated productivity, as it is important to take time aside and embrace personal downtime. 

Whether one chooses to read with recreational or practical intentions, the end of the school year will bring many chances to indulge in a variety of novels. On that note, The Wrangler has compounded a comprehensive list of top books to look out for this summer. 

Online sources have recommended multiple popular novels such as One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston, 28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand, and What If It’s Us by Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli. 

Even our very own language arts instructors at YLHS have offered their own input as to personal reading recommendations. Mrs. Shube (Staff) has expressed a preference for the scientific fiction/fantasy genre, recommending The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss; the novel is a heroic fantasy that began the first of an entire trilogy. 

Similarly, Mrs. St. Amant (Staff) compiled a list of a variety of genres that “students have really enjoyed” and “highly recommend[ed].” When looking for new reading material, be sure to check out The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, Educated by Tara Westover, All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely, A Mother’s Reckoning by Sue Klebold, Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett Krosoczka, Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, Looking for Alaska by John Green, The Martian by Andy Weir, and One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus. 

Ms. Ferris (Staff) has also shared her own particular reading efforts, despite “..not [being] able to read as much” during the school year between grading essays; still, she has been able to cover The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo.

In addition, AP Language Arts students will be utilizing recorded book talks created by Ms. Ferris; over the summer, students will be reading Brain on Fire by Susannah Calahan, Educated by Tara Westover, Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann, The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore, and White Fragility by Rogin DiAngelo. For those planning to take Advanced Placement Language Arts, it could be beneficial to begin exploring these or similar novels in preparation for the rigorous class. 

Of course our school librarian, Mrs. Phillips (Staff), also has personal favorites that are perfect for students’ summer reading; she recommends Dumplin’ by Julie Murphy, described as “touching and funny and relatable,” as well as The Silent Patient – an “excellent psychological thriller” by Alex Michaelides.

Ultimately, feel free to delve into the extensive array of novels that are available to read. As expressed by Ms. Ferris (Staff), it is important to remember that although she “want[s] to be able to share recommendations with my students… I always encourage students to read what inspires or interests them, which of course may be different than my own interests.” No matter the genre or subject matter, the world of fiction exists as its own reprieve to each individual; with the approaching summer vacation, hopefully this advisory compilation serves as a resource to those in need of literary direction.