How the Internet is Shaping Movies and TV Shows

The internet’s fan theories have recently been impacting and shaping films and TV shows!
Film Theory

Fan theories are more alive than ever before. The internet makes it so easy for people to share their wildest hopes and dreams for their favorite movies and TV shows. This phenomenon has not only altered the way we consume media but has also influenced the creative process itself, as filmmakers and showrunners increasingly take fan feedback and theories into account.

An absolute fan frenzy surrounding films like Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame happened in 2018-2019. In the months leading up to these blockbuster releases, the internet was buzzing with speculation, with fans piecing together clues from trailers, promotional material, and even past MCU films to predict plot twists and character arcs. Fans would slow down TV spots and trailers that Marvel released trying to find hints of what was yet to come. Some of these fan theories proved to be surprisingly accurate, while others were very outlandish. One student, Rylee Dee (12), says, “I remember all the anticipation around Avengers: Endgame and Infinity War. It felt like the whole internet was going crazy about it!”

I remember all the anticipation around Avengers: Endgame and Infinity War. It felt like the whole internet was going crazy about it!

— Rylee Dee

The mayhem did not stop when Avengers: Endgame was released. The movies Black Widow and Shang-Chi: The Legend of the Ten Rings also received their own set of far-out theories. One of the craziest Black Widow theories revolved around Natasha Romanoff being a clone of herself and getting an entire face transplant. 

One prime example of this relationship between creators and fans is the highly anticipated Five Nights at Freddy’s movie, which recently made headlines with the announcement of popular YouTuber and theorist, Matt Patt, being involved in the project. The creator, Matt Patt, is very famous for his theories about the FNAF games, and his videos gain millions of views. The YouTuber had a cameo in the Five Nights At Freddy’s movie. He even used some of the slang from his most successful videos, making audiences happy all around the world. 

In conclusion, the rise of fan theories greatly impacts the media and consumer culture, more now than ever. With platforms like YouTube, Reddit, and Twitter serving as meeting grounds for fans to share ideas and theories, the line between creator and consumer has become increasingly blurred. In this digital age, fans serve not just as spectators but as participants in the film industry. Their imaginations and love for the shows/movies have helped fans all across the globe come together and help create amazing pieces of media.