The Scoop on Blue Scoop

Kylie de Best

Mustangs enjoying some ice cream while supporting Yorba Linda High School.

Kylie de Best, Section Editor

Ice cream is a delicious treat for everyone. It is the perfect way to cool down during the endless hot summer days, and can still be the perfect way to lighten your mood during any time of the year. 

In Yorba Linda, a new creamery called Blue Scoop has opened up. It is located on Richfield next to the Huston School of Music and is quickly gaining popularity among students.

This creamery offers a variety of flavors such as Banana Pudding, Movie Munchies, Honey Almond Brittle, and even classics like Cookies and Cream and Mint. For those who are lactose intolerant or vegan, Blue Scoop also offers vegan flavors such as Almond Cookie Butter, Cookies and No Cream, and Coconut Lemon Poppy Seed. To an addition of their single scoops. they also offer pint sizes and even birthday cakes that you can buy without pre-ordering. 

Due to its rising popularity in the area, Yorba Linda High School hosted a fundraiser there from September 29 to October 3. On the first day of the fundraiser, Dr. Dihn (S) was a guest scooper, and many enjoyed seeing a familiar staff member’s face. A flavor called Mustang Mix was introduced exclusively for this fundraiser and is a birthday cake flavor with blue and red bits to show off our school colors. For those who purchased pints of Mustang Mix, a lucky few that found a token in theirs earned a prize. Surprisingly, the Mustang Mix pints sold out on the first day, making the fundraiser a huge success. Stephanie Dy (11), who went to the fundraiser, says “It was really amazing to get out and see some familiar faces in public. I loved the Mustang Mix flavor, and I have a sweet tooth so it was the perfect way to end my day!”. 

Blue Scoop Creamery was founded in 2018 by the Rhodes family. Owners Kim, who was originally from Kentucky, and Chris, who is from Ohio both have a love for ice cream. It was always Kim’s dream to be able to open up an ice cream shop, and their way of finding a good business and great tasting ice cream has brought a place Mustangs have been loving to go to. With their vision that ice cream connects people, they were able to successfully start up a business locally that is unique from other ice cream places.

When I went for the first time, I tried the Almond Cookie Butter flavor. The flavor tasted almost exactly like a cookie, and the texture was really nice. It felt as if I was eating a cold sugar cookie, and I could taste the sugary bits as people would with an actual sugar cookie.

For the changing season, they have for a limited time Pumpkin Cheesecake and Bubblegum Eye Scream. When sampling the pumpkin cheesecake, I was able to taste pieces of crust like on an actual cheesecake. I believe that the pumpkin flavor made creamy with the cheesecake and the crust complimented each other well and wasn’t completely as exotic as it may sound. The Bubblegum Eye Scream flavor is perfect for Halloween and is a blend of natural fruit flavors such as strawberry, cherry, orange, and banana with a natural green color blended with purple chiclets. This is topped with a bubblegum eyeball to really give an eerie effect.

Overall, Blue Scoop is very supportive of the schools around us, and their constantly new and delicious flavors always have something new for customers. For Mustangs who are looking for a new place to satisfy their sweet tooth, this is the perfect place to go.