Pixar vs Disney

Ashley Payne

Disney and Pixar are very well known brands throughout the world who have impacted many students’ lives.

Malieka Khan, Photojournalist

Movies can have a major impact on a person’s childhood, especially animated films. There are several different major animation studios which people will associate their childhoods with, two major ones being the Walt Disney Animation Studios  and Pixar Animation Studios. In fact, one debate between people is which has had more of an influence on their lives in the past and which overall creates better content.

Walt Disney Animation Studios was created under the ideas and stories of Walt Disney who created a world of animation in 1923 by creating a series of short live animation films. From then on this company grew into something much more till it has become what we know now to be a huge company worth about 92 billion dollars since creating some of the most influential and important films in movie history. Walt Disney had created various ideas of fairy tales and stories to tell and just needed a medium to convey them to the world, leading him to create Snow White, the first Disney movie ever made in 1937. From then on his script for telling stories has been a favorite amongst people to the point where they created a time period called the Disney Renaissance Age. Even to this day, Walt Disney Company is switching up their styles of storytelling for a different audience to influence and inspire.

Pixar Animation Studios began in 1979 after a group of animators had began branching off of  Walt Disney Studios and leaning towards a new and impactful advancement in technology for movie history: computer animation. This type of animation is now seen throughout many movies today such as The Lego Movie, Tangled, Inside Out, and Finding Dory. The first movie to pioneer this style of animation was Pixar’s first movie, Toy Story. Today this style of animation is seen everywhere to the point where its true difficulty is shadowed, however for the time period this was made, not only had it been even more challenging but also a major trailblazer for an entire art of movie altogether, leaving this sole movie and Pixar itself to have a major impact on not only people but the style of movies themselves.

The true debate however is which is more important and impactful in people’s lives? Pixar time and time again has released movies that resonate with people and touch their hearts, however the Disney Renaissance is a major contributor to the argument for Disney. Movies from The Little Mermaid till Tarzan are all part of the Disney Renaissance which include, Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and Mulan. All these classic movies have been widely spread box office hits that children to this day still watch, however Pixar does still stand a chance in this fight between the two. Movies such as Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, and Cars are just a few examples of the jems the Pixar has released. Still, many students do have a deep connection with Pixar as they do Disney such as Justin Stevens (11) stating, “Movies such as The Incredibles impacted my life because I still watch it to this day”. Walt Disney Company even agrees with this argument seeing as they had bought Pixar in in 2006 for $7.4 billion. Yet, still in a recent social media poll taken, over 63% of Yorba Linda High School students chose Disney as a more impacting company to their childhood through their movies and ideas since that is just what they have primarily grown up with and believing.

Years and years of parents showing their children movies as well as immersing them into new cultures could cause a shift in this with movies such as Inside Out and Up, however due to the time period of the Disney Renaissance being so near as well as these children growing up with movies from the Walt Disney Company, the change would be gradual or if nothing else a slow transition for Pixar to one day be as influential to their audience.