In Remembrance of 9/11

9/11 was an American tragedy that will forever be ingrained in our history. Photo courtesy of CBS

Getty Images

Mabel Ra, Editor

September 11, 2001.

This single date flashbacks to one of the most tragic events in American history. On September 11, 2001, an Islamic terrorist group by the name of al-Qaeda coordinated an attack on four US airplanes. By hijacking these planes, two planes crashed into the twin towers of the World Trade Center, one plane crashed the Pentagon, and another plane crashed in Pennsylvania. As a result of this attack, a total of 2,977 people lost their lives.

In response to the attack, the at-the-time President George W. Bush proclaimed, “Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America.” In fact, Bush’s words hold true. Despite the brokenness in the heart of New York City, millions of Americans joined together in unity, to give their support to the 9/11 victims.  The American flag flew high in the sky to symbolize that terrorist groups will not and cannot break down America. An astounding 36,000 units of blood were donated to the New York Blood Center, charities raised money, and all Americans gave their respect to the victims of the 9/11 attack and those who were helping.

The 9/11 Memorial opened in 2010, in honor of the 10-year mark of these attacks.  Sitting in the place where the Twin Towers once stood, the 9/11 Memorial gives respect and recognition to the thousands of lives lost during 9/11. All 2,977 of the names of those who were killed have been engraved into the panels of the Memorial.  The 9/11 Museum also pays tribute to 9/11 through their exhibitions like commemorations of all the lives that were lost, archives of news, and even interactive technology.

Last year, the publications programs offered at Yorba Linda High School, like Yearbook and Newspaper, took a week-long trip to New York City. One of the places they stopped at was the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. Yearbook student Amber Reddish (11) shared her experience as “depressing yet sentimental” but “a good experience to be able to have a more personal experience with the history.” Being able to personally connect with such a significant event in American history is an incredible experience, and everyone should visit the 9/11 Memorial and Museum in their lives.

9/11 is one of the most prominent tragedies in American history. And yet, despite the several years that have gone by, the events of 9/11 still hold an everlasting imprint on American hearts. Time does not diminish the extent of the atrocity seen in 9/11; for this, we will always remember September 11 and keep the lost lives of the innocent in our hearts. We will #NeverForget.