Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

All About Letterman Jackets: A Staple of American High School Athletes

At Yorba Linda High School, Varsity Football Jackets are all the rage.
Emma Perron

Typically made of a wool body and leather or pleather sleeves, this jacket has a distinct look and is actually popular fashion-wise in other countries. 

The origins of this prestigious jacket are based in sports, mainly American baseball and football. Players on collegiate teams who achieved the varsity level of their sports were initially given sweaters with a letter sewn on them. 

According to the Wall Street Journal, they were first worn and popularized by Ivy League student-athletes in the 1800s and then proceeded to evolve and fluctuate in popularity until its main resurgence in the 1970s (wsj.com).

However, straying from the jock roots of Richie Cunningham “Happy Days” and Emilio Estevez “Breakfast Club,” the varsity jacket has proven stylistically versatile and prominent in modern fashion.

Surprisingly, the style has lived vicariously not only through hip-hop and 80s rock but even through monarchies.

In 1991, British Princess Diana was seen sporting a green Philadelphia Eagles varsity jacket and caused a debate of whether she was caught up with American sports or just wore it for purely stylistic means (harpersbazaar.com).

More recently, former Duchess Meghan wore a non-sports related varsity jacket when visiting a STEM college in Brooklyn, New York. This was widely seen as the Duchess acknowledging her countryside origins (harpersbazaar.com).

Just in time for the fall, Starbucks even designed and dropped a Pumpkin Spice Latte Varsity Jacket collaboration with fashion brand KidSuper (usatoday.com).

Despite the versatility and prevalence of this iconic garment, people have mixed feelings about the tradition at the high school level. A basic design can cost upwards of $300, and with every hand-sewn patch, some places charging per letter, these can become pretty pricey. As a result, the actual popular use of the jacket usually varies from sport to sport.

Varsity Soccer Player Emma Perron (12) sports her varsity jacket at a football game. (Emma Perron)

Football and cheer athletes seem to overwhelmingly outweigh the other sports teams in terms of whose athletes buy the most jackets, even considering all the varsity-level sports at different schools.

Yorba Linda High School Varsity Tennis Player Brianne Burgess (12) has been playing tennis since she was 4 and has been on Varsity since her Junior Year. She bought her varsity jacket to look back on when she is older, and to “commemorate her achievements in sports as well as showcase her school pride.” 

“I bought a varsity jacket as a keepsake, to commemorate my achievements in sports, and to showcase my school pride.”

— Brianne Burgess (12)

Burgess recommends prospective buyers to “think about why they want a varsity jacket–for sports, fashion, etc” and that since the jackets tend to have a snug fit, “to go in person to find the most comfortable sizing.”

Whether one decides to buy one or not, it is a quintessential staple of high school and collegiate athletics—and apparently the British monarchy. After all, what could be more classically American but more globally popular than denim jeans and a letterman jacket?

10
View Comments (10)