Making “Out Of This World” Memories

A+large+group+of+friends+enjoying+their+junior+year+homecoming+together%2C+and+making+more+memories.+
    Jennalyn Urquico
    A large group of friends enjoying their junior year homecoming together, and making more memories.

It’s finally that time again..Homecoming Day!! This is the day that freshmen have been waiting their whole lives for, the day sophomores and juniors are excited to make more memories on, and a bittersweet day for the seniors. Whatever grade you might be in, tonight is the night to get all dressed up with your friends, take a bunch of cute pictures, and to forget about other issues and just dance the night away. This year the senior class chose the theme “Out of This World”, inspired by space, aliens, and the famous movie series: Men in Black. 

Our outstanding ASB team has been planning this event for weeks, from the decor, to the food, to the games, and the DJ. According to Joy Mikhail (12) “Our rallies team worked really hard, and spent countless hours making this event memorable.” In the ASB world, the week leading up to homecoming is known as the most stressful, and tiring week of the year. This is because they had to plan and set up for the rally Thursday night, specifically from 6:30-11:30 pm, tear down all the decor after the rally, then right after school go down to the fields and set up for the homecoming game. ASB is the team behind the scenes that you don’t really see, but without them the people at our school would be extremely disconnected and we would have no school spirit or unity. 

The homecoming dance started at 7 pm, however for most people, the night started many hours earlier. Girls got ready together, and had their own “teen movie moments” while excitedly getting ready for a memorable night with their friends. All around Yorba Linda, the parks are full of dressed-up high school kids taking thousands of pictures for their Instagrams. 

Once you get to the school, you are welcomed by a bright LED lit circle, symbolizing a portal that takes you “out of this world.” There are tables filled with snacks and beverages, to keep you hydrated throughout the night. Next to it is one of the more popular attractions, the LED photo booth, with students lined up waiting to take fun photos with their friends. This year there were also TVs with video games connected, so you can compete with your friends if you want a break from all the fun in the dance circle. In the senior shelter there were other games such as Uno, Jenga, and Connect 4 for your entertainment. Near the senior lot entrance, there was also a 360 video booth that quickly became an activity that people wanted to try with their friends. 

It was so much fun! Felt just like a movie!

— Preston Cheng (9)

We asked some freshmen how their first high school dance experience was; Preston Cheng (9) said “It was so much fun! Felt just like a movie”. According to Gia Nikaj (9), “Getting ready with [her] friends before the dance was so much fun, and [she’s] looking forward to future dances.” Finally, we asked Sanaya Patel (9) how her first homecoming experience was, and she stated, “The dance was so much fun and the decorations were great!” 

It sounds like a lot of amazing memories were made, and the 2023 homecoming was truly “out of this world”. If you weren’t able to attend this time, hopefully you can make it to the other dances and dance the night away with the special people in your life.