Pennies for Patients

photo courtesy of ihsroar.com

Lily Rajaee, photojournalist

You should have heard the announcement that explained what those Pennies for Patient donation boxes in your classrooms are for…but in case you didn’t, it is not too late to participate in this awesome charity fundraising project!

The National Honors Society (NHS) has begun its community service project for the collection of money in order to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The donated money will help support the organization in their mission to help spread awareness about these conditions and help support the facilities that devote countless hours to research.

This is such an easy way to help out the community and make a difference in the lives of many who are affected by Leukemia and Lymphoma either personally or by having a family member or friend who is affected by the diseases. High school students often times complain that they do not know how they can “make a difference” in their communities, but Pennies for Patients provides the perfect opportunity! Drop off your spare change into one of the labeled bins, and experience the satisfaction that comes with giving to a good cause.

Pennies for Patients is also considered a monthly project for actual National Honors Society members, so members who participate can get credit for their monthly assignment. However, you do not have to be a member to donate and participate in this event! All students are encouraged to raise money and make a contribution, no matter how small, to this cause. Co-president of NHS, Sarah Stumph (12) commented that “each student that contributes has a substantial impact on even one patient’s life. The more someone contributes, the more happiness they can generate in another’s less fortunate life.”

As a note for the newly inducted members, you are not required to participate, although everyone is highly encouraged to take part in this important cause! The last day to bring in donations is Thursday, April 14th. As a way to thank all participants for their dedication, NHS is generously throwing a pizza party for the classroom that has collected the most money. If you want to help your class win the pizza party, make sure to donate the money to your third period class, because the teacher with the most money will be corresponding to their third period class.

It is truly amazing how the efforts of the youth can help support such a massive cause that is affecting thousands across the nation. Make a choice to help patients around the nation and make an effort to donate and make Pennies for Patients a successful event.