Things To Look Forward to in November

pexels.com
November is well-known for trees turning into their warm orange colors.

November is often reminiscent of the autumn season. As the trees change colors, turning into their charming shades of red, orange, yellow, and brown, the days get shorter, and the nights become longer and colder. To some, November is the month when they finally get to bundle up in warm clothes, and to others, it is a celebration of Native American Heritage. However, that’s not all that’s to it. Many holidays and occasions happen during the eleventh month of the year.

From November 1st to November 2nd, Día De Los Muertos, or “Day of the Dead,” is widely observed in Mexico and by people of Mexican heritage. The holiday brings families and friends together to remember and honor those who have passed away. On Día De Los Muertos, it is believed that the border between the natural world and the spirit world dissolves and that the souls of the dead would return to the living world to dance, drink, and feast with their loved ones (history.com).

On November 5th, Daylight Saving Time ends and clocks are set back by one hour. This means that the sun rises and sets earlier, and in comparison, darkness falls earlier and nighttime feels longer. Daylight Saving Time ending also helps people gain an extra hour of sleep.

Veterans Day is also on November 11th. The day is used to recognize and honor military veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces (uso.org). However, since the federal holiday falls on Saturday, it will be observed on Friday, November 10th. Students will also get the day off on this day. Veterans have done so much for our country, so we must take time to appreciate them!

Growing in popularity in the past few years, November 13th is World Kindness Day, which is an international observance dedicated to promoting and celebrating acts of kindness. It is observed in several countries, including the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the United Arab Emirates (compassion.com). The day serves as a reminder of kindness’ positive impacts on individuals, communities, and the world.

Perhaps the most popular of all the occasions in November, Thanksgiving Day occurs on November 23rd this year. Thanksgiving is typically celebrated on the fourth Thursday of the month, commemorating the harvest and other blessings of the past year. The holiday is believed to originate from a 1621 harvest feast shared by the English colonists of Plymouth and the Wampanoag people (britannica.com). Presently, Thanksgiving is known to bring families together and serves as a reminder to have gratitude.

Following Thanksgiving, Black Friday occurs on November 24th, and Cyber Monday on November 27th. These two days are the biggest shopping days of the year since online retailers offer various special promotions, discounts, and sales to entice buyers (investopedia.com). It is also an excellent opportunity to get early gifts in preparation for the holidays. Although there are technically two designated days for these sales, they can extend to a whole week with additional sales online.

The month of November is also filled with countless fun national days. In the first half of the month, there is National Redhead Day (November 5th), National Nachos Day (November 6th), and National Sundae Day (November 11th). The second half includes National Hiking Day (November 17th), National Play Monopoly Day (November 19th), and National Cake Day (November 26th)!

My favorite thing about November is that it’s calm before the holiday madness. Winter is soon approaching, but fall colors are still around.

— Krishaa Seth (9)

Krishaa Seth (9) particularly enjoys November because “…it’s calm before the holiday madness. Winter is soon approaching, but fall colors are still around.” However, there is no denying that when November is nearing its end, the aura of the holiday season is already in the air. Christmas trees start to go up, Christmas music plays on every radio, and houses are decorated with lights from top to bottom! Nonetheless, the winter holidays should not overshadow the entirety of November; November is a remarkable month of the year that offers a wide variety of events that people can enjoy.