Is it Worth it to Get Your Driver’s License Before You Turn 18?

Cora Derby
    Students can get their driver’s permit at the Norco California DMV.

“Driving is a privilege”, is a line commonly said. Many students at Yorba Linda High School will agree that the choice to start driving at 16 is an exciting one, but not always the easiest. There are many benefits to waiting until you turn 18 to get a license, though many struggle with not knowing when to start. This dilemma can be quite troublesome, so having reasons for both sides can be very helpful.

To start off, getting a license at 16 years old has many benefits. Being able to hop out of your car after parking at school gives you a new sense of pride. The freedom of driving through your favorite fast food restaurant is exhilarating. The independence of not having to beg your parents for a ride is empowering. “I am excited to get my license so I can start driving my friends around”, commented Hannah Chong (10), sharing the opinion of many students at Yorba Linda High School.

However, getting a license before turning 18 also comes with many restrictions. Difficulties such as having to complete a thirty hour online course and needing a minimum of six hours of behind the wheel training with an instructor can be both costly and make the process of becoming a certified driver very frustrating. Additionally, those with a license under 18 have to wait a year before they can drive others who are under 25 years old. This can interfere with students wanting to drive their friends around, yet save them from becoming their friends’ Uber.

On the other hand, 18-year-olds get to skip that whole process. Legal adults do not need training with an instructor, online courses, or parent signatures. Adult drivers can also drive around their friends without the twelve month wait. Thus, the whole process of getting a driver’s license is much easier and more efficient.

I am excited to get my license so I can start driving my friends around.

— Hannah Chong

Now knowing the pros and cons to getting a license before 18 years old, the decision is really up to the student.  A very busy or independent student may find it easier to get their license early to avoid having a parent always driving them around. On the other hand, one who doesn’t go out as often may find it easier to wait, saving money and skipping some steps. Every driver must keep in mind that driving is a privilege. As E. B. White once said, “Everything in life is somewhere else, and you can get there in a car.” Whether it’s at 16 or later, driving will be a fun adventure.