The Return of Victoria’s Secret

Victori’s Secret
    The introduction image to the Victoria’s Secret Tour ‘23.

The Victoria’s Secret show after 4 years has made a comeback. The infamous runway shows ended in November 2019 assumingly for various reasons. Although it is said to have halted so the brand could focus on evolving.There are many other rumors. 

I feel like they’re trying too hard to fit into today’s standards and are copying Rihanna and Fenty Beauty

— Hannah Jebelli (Grade 12)

The most common rumor is that the runway shows stopped because of the lack of body type diversity and the negative, harsh conditions for the models. Models had severely restricted diets and were required to obsessively exercise to “fit” the standard of the Victoria’s Secret Brand. Model Barbara Palvin for example, who first walked for VS (Victoria Secret) in 2012 was perceived as a “plus sized model” while standing at  5 ‘9 and weighing around 120 lbs, said by Shape magazine. 

Image by Victoria’s Secret

Not too many people are happy about the comeback of the Victoria Secret Shows. Although the company put tons of effort into rebranding themselves as a body positive brand, people are still unhappy. The documentary called “VICTORIA’S SECRET: THE TOUR ‘23” is due to air September 26, 2023. It is expected for them to include plus sized models. A less cardinal issue of the return of the show is that the trailer of the show is extremely similar to the arched compartment, containing people, backdrop of Rihanna’s 2023 Tour. This could cause a lawsuit between Rihanna and Victoria’s Secret. 

On a more positive note, the tour is said by journalist Layla Ichi in “Women’s Wear Daily”, to include drinks inspired by Victoria’s Secret fragrances, desserts to represent their well-known motifs and colors, the remarkable angel wings, and said by W magazine to include the return of the most glorious models such as Adriana Lima, Naomi Campbell, Candice Swanepoel, Gigi Hadid, and more. 

This relates to the students of YLHS and the children of the future in general because it indicates the kind of media and expectations children will have to face in the future. Depending on the documentary we will really see if the effort to change society’s unrealistic beauty standard has been put in. Today’s beauty standards have put immense pressure on many people of all ages, including students, adults, and more to hurt themselves and unintentionally others in the process. It is very important for people to have a good sense of self-worth and confidence. If a person is not comfortable within themselves they will never be happy, that is why it is important for Victoria’s Secret not to implement impossible beauty standards into young minds who look up to people such as models.