“Do You Even Lift Bro?” – Gym Culture in 2023

Located off Imperial Highway, LA Fitness is a popular gym choice.

Anjeli Webb, Editor

From Charles Atlas’s “Dynamic Tension” to Arnold Schwarzenegger’s career that saw seven Mr. Olympia title wins, bodybuilding and physical fitness has influenced athletes, history buffs, and movie nerds alike. Yorba Linda High School is also home to health-conscious students who find that their regular neighborhood gym is more special than it seems.

Especially since Mustangs excel in athletics, it is no surprise that many have health routines that include regular trips to the gym. It is interesting to see the different “cliques” of people and the general diversity: there are elderly people working out to stay fit, middle schoolers in groups that motivate each other to have a competitive edge in high school sports, and your typical gym rats that flex in the mirror more than they do reps.

As I am typing this article, I am actually on a stationary bike at the 24-Hour Fitness in Yorba Linda. I grab my gym bag containing my phone (to check in), water bottle, and weight-lifting gloves, and I am set. Usually, my workouts involve one of two routines. When I have time on the weekends, I do a 15-minute walking and jogging warm up on the treadmill, then move to weight machines alternating different muscle groups. If I have some extra time, I use free weights, the rowing machine, the rope machine, and finish with an abdominal workout, then cool down on the treadmill. More often, I only have around 45 minutes to spare on weekdays, so I double-task by sending emails and doing simple school-related tasks on my phone while on a stationary bike for a 30-minute interval training (?). After that, I choose one machine (or lift some free weights) to finish, and it is back home for a relaxing shower and schoolwork.

To me personally, the gym is a place where I can reset my mind, take care of my body, and get motivated to complete the rest of the day. 

Ever since I got cleared to return to athletics after I completed rehab for my knee injury last year, I started to build a gym routine, and got accustomed to modern-day “gym culture.” It is much different than what I was used to when I did ballet, tennis, and taekwondo, and I have found that it is much more inclusive in that it can be an individual or group activity. 

When I asked around campus, I found that I was not alone in this sentiment.

Mustang Multi-Athlete Holden Mohler (11) works out at Curl Fitness, a gym that has locations in Newport Beach, Westminster, Riverside, and Yorba Linda.

The culture is very welcoming to any and all people that decide to better themselves through fitness.

— Holden Mohler

Mohler explains how “the gym may seem very intimidating at first, but almost nobody at the gym judges you.” 

There always seem to be a couple of students from nearby high schools and middle schools working out either individually with headphones or together in groups, both using methods to help alleviate potential social anxiety that some gym-goers may initially face. Just like in any other situation, it is more likely that people are focused on themselves and are too busy worrying about their own appearance/performance to judge the person next to them.

He elaborates, stating that “the culture is very welcoming to any and all people that decide to better themselves through fitness.” 

The gym etiquette is also very…nuanced. 

Gym-frequenter Leonel Ramirez (12) finds that although gyms are inclusive, they can be chaotic at times.

There is a lot to see when you go to the gym. There are some people who go only to talk to others, which can be annoying for example when they laugh too loud. There are also people that go to the gym solely to record themselves.

— Leonel Ramirez

He says that “there is a lot to see when you go to the gym. There are some people who go only to talk to others, which can be annoying for example when they laugh too loud. There are also people that go to the gym solely to record themselves.” 

It is a well-known fact that many young people think that fitness hour is also social hour, which is a great way that Generation Z and Millennials are overcoming antisocial attitudes that are common today. However, this can be a nuisance to others who view them as hogging machines and weights by establishing a monopoly on all of the weights at the same time (looking at you—group of kids on the leg press)!

In addition, “fit-fluencers” and people on social media recording themselves is becoming such a universal pet peeve, that there are stigmas attached to taking gym selfies or pulling stunts just to get more attention online. Accidentally walking into the camera view of someone videoing their workout is a new pop culture phenomenon, along with the mutual embarrassment—and occasionally resentment—that ensues.

Also, Ramirez finds that there is a playful competition between which gym is the best. Some say that gyms like Planet Fitness and Orange Theory are more beginner-friendly, while others insist on the holistic (spa, shop, personal training, and cafeteria/restaurant) approach of Equinox. Ramirez personally is a 24-Hour Fitness guy, supporting his choice with evidence such as a wide range of cardio and strength machines, fully stocked weight racks, the presence of a pool, a basketball court, a group dance/yoga/Zumba room, a cycling room, and a sauna. 

Overall, gyms are a great place to find mental and physical health improvement in a safe space.

It may seem counterintuitive, but the gym is a destination where many people can relax their minds from the cacophony of life and leave energized and recharged.