Yorba Linda High School Blood Drive

The YLHS Blood Drive gives students the opportunity to help save lives.

Fiona Salisbury (12)

Fiona Salisbury, Photojournalist

Every two seconds someone in the United States is in need of blood, and it is through the generosity of donors that millions of lives can be saved each year. People may require blood transfusions for a variety of reasons that include but are not limited to being in a serious accident, having surgery, and having certain illnesses. Due to the constant need for blood donations, it is essential that people donate to help alleviate the national blood shortage, and through the Yorba Linda High School blood drive, students will be given an opportunity to help save up to three lives.

In less than an hour, an individual has the chance to make a meaningful difference in someone else’s life. Additionally, students who participate in the YLHS Blood drive will be able to earn a free T-shirt and enjoy free snacks and refreshments. The process of donating is quick and simple, and by participating, students can even find out their blood type. Any student 16 years old and older in good health is capable of donating!

The majority of students who donate, will be giving one pint of whole blood; this donation type collects red blood cells, platelets, and plasma in a single donation. Some students who meet certain weight and blood type requirements will be eligible to donate Power Red, a donation type that collects a concentrated dose of red blood cells. Since red blood cells are in the greatest demand, students who are eligible to donate Power Red are highly recommended to do so.

It is up to the generosity of donors to support these patients, and thanks to students, many lives can be saved.

— Ethan Yang (11)

Once the blood is collected, it will be taken to a lab where it will go through processing and testing. After these processes are completed, your donation will be stored until it is ready to be shipped to a hospital that has a need for more blood. While most hospitals keep their own supply of blood, large scale disasters often lead to an increased demand for blood. Once the blood is shipped to a hospital, transfusions can be given to patients who may have conditions such as serious injuries, surgeries, childbirth, anemia, blood disorders, cancer treatments, and more. 

According to Ethan Yang (11), the Co-President of the YLHS American Red Cross club “It is up to the generosity of donors to support these patients, and thanks to students, many lives can be saved.” If you are interested in helping others and you meet the eligibility requirements, don’t hesitate to sign up for the YLHS Blood Drive!