Is it the end of the world if you don’t get into your dream college?

It isn’t the end of the world if your college dreams do not go as planned; exploring different options such as choosing another college, taking a gap year, and studying abroad is a good way to secure success. (Rivermont Collegiate)

Is it the end of the world if you don’t get into your dream college? The short answer to this question is no. But we, as high school students working towards college-related goals, know that it isn’t as simple as that. The world as we know it is geared around work and merit, and being admitted into a dream or top college is an acknowledgment of that. Before we can even think of applying, our lives must be set upon accomplishing goals that will increase our chances of being accepted. And let’s admit: it is stressful

Competition drives that stress immensely. Although it is unknown whether competitiveness is innate or learned, there is no doubt that it exists as a fuel for dedication and effort. Every day, classmates question each other about how they did on certain tests, their extracurriculars, and what they are striving for in the future. While it can be important to have friendly competition and interest in one another’s lives, it can become a path to bitterness and an unhealthy obsession with always wanting to be the best. No one is ever ‘better’ than anyone else, and everyone pursues passions that are unique to their interests. High school should not be a competition in disguise but a way to encourage and promote the growth of ourselves and each other.

Growing as a well-rounded individual is something that high school students work towards during those four years. Of course, being accepted into the college of our dreams as a result of that effort is ideal, but even if that doesn’t go as planned, it does not mean that the work has gone to waste. There are several options besides going to your dream college or even going to college at all. You should not base the entirety of your high school career on getting into one college. Sarah Liu (11) states, “I don’t have a dream college, so I’m not worried about what school I get into. Hundreds of schools are prestigious and have good qualities, and you can be successful whether or not you go to a top college.”

This begs the question: Is it necessary to obtain a college degree to be successful? The answer is usually no. Attending university is one way to ensure a steady pathway to success, but success is just as accessible elsewhere. Although having a college degree ready to present to an employer provides an extra boost in the job-applying process, not all careers demand degrees. It is also useful to maintain connections to people who may be able to put in a good word for you and attest to your strengths. Volunteering for organizations related to your career interests, taking an internship at a company, and launching a business are all methods of becoming successful without a college degree. However, these alternative routes are only achievable through dedication, time, and hard work, so it is important to set tangible and attainable goals.

Although not going to college is an option, according to Bankrate, you “expand your potential earnings, create long-lasting relationships and professional connections, and learn valuable skills” when attending university. So, even if your top choice does not accept you, it would be wise to strongly consider other colleges; from that point, you still have the potential to transfer to your favored school and continue your education there. Gap years are common as well and can be used when reapplying to let a college know what meaningful differences you made during that year. 

Everything works out in the end, and no matter where you go, it’s what you make of it that matters.

— Peyton Pike (S)

If you find yourself combating the disappointment of not getting into your top choice school, remember to keep your chin up and not let it be the end of the world. As Peyton Pike (S), a Yorba Linda High School counselor, encourages, “You’re never going to know what your dream school is until you go to it, and what you thought it was might not be it. Everything works out in the end, and no matter where you go, it’s what you make of it that matters.” Success is often also attained with an optimistic attitude and a readiness to view rejection as an opening to many other life options. The future is uncertain and not determined by whether or not you get into your dream school. By turning rejection into redirection, you can make the most out of your life.