Three Ways To Get Into The Fall Spirit

+People+watch+Harry+Potter+as+they+enjoy+a+couple+of+fall+snacks.

Courtesy of SOCIETY19

People watch Harry Potter as they enjoy a couple of fall snacks.

Tatum Steward, Photo Journalist

Southern California is not particularly known for having cool weather and autumn leaves during any time of the year; in fact, as we enter the new fall season during temperatures above 90, it may be hard for SoCal residents to feel that classic “fall vibe.” So what can we do to get in the spirit of some upcoming holidays and fall festivities? I have curated a list of some of the perfect movies, TV show episodes, and songs that are sure to get any person in the fall spirit! 

To begin, there’s no better way to truly indulge yourself in this new season than by watching a couple of classic fall-themed and Halloween movies. Here are a few movies that bring the right vibe:

• Knives Out: After the murder of a family member, people come together to solve the murder mystery.
  • Hocus Pocus: With evil witches and spells, three kids go on a mission to stop themselves from becoming immortal.
  • You’ve Got Mail: Two people fall in love through their romantic exchange of emails; further on this duo realizes each other’s true identity, causing rifts in the relationship.
  • Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: A high school student cuts class to have a day off, all while successfully getting away with it. 
  • Coco: A young musician dreams of becoming accomplished, and while on his journey, he ends up in the Land of the Dead.
  • Dead Poets Society: A private school teacher uses unconventional teaching methods to break through with his students.
  • Little Women: A family of daughters brought together by sickness in a time when they, as women, had very few rights. 
  • Halloweentown: Young siblings find out that they are descendants of witches, and they end up having to save the world from evil. 
  • Nightmare Before Christmas: Jack Skellington accidentally stumbles upon Christmastown, far from his homeland. Here he plots to kidnap Santa Claus and tame Christmas.
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone: A young boy learns his birth parents were actually wizards and is sent off to wizard school at Hogwarts. 

While movies can truly immerse the viewer in a fall sensation, sometimes all we need is a short episode to shift gears into the fall spirit. TV shows like Gilmore Girls are notorious for their iconic fall essences.

“Gilmore Girls really helps kickstart my fall. I love the overall vibe, along with some of the side characters that you get to meet along the way.”

— Isabella Colin (11)

Here are a few suggestions for popular fall shows: 

• Gilmore Girls: This show takes place in a darling Connecticut town, following a mother and daughter as they navigate through life with friendships and relationships. 
  • Stranger Things: Taking place in Indiana, four friends must navigate the mysterious disappearances and occurrences that take place beneath the surface.
  • F.R.I.E.N.D.S.: In New York City, a group of friends lives in adjacent apartments, always sticking their noses in each other’s business. 
  • Gossip Girl: Also taking place in New York City, an unknown blogger reveals all of the secrets lying in a network of people’s lives.
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: A half-witch, half-mortal girl manages her life while trying to fight evil against her family. 

While movies and shows are mandatory for getting in that “fall vibe,” sometimes we simply don’t have the time to sit down and watch a show. This is why music is so important, whether it directly involves fall, or simply has that fall feel. Here’s a list of 10 songs that are perfect for autumn: 

• “Scott Street” by Phoebe Bridgers
  • “Cardigan” by Taylor Swift
  • “Sweater Weather” by The Neighbourhood 
  • “This Town” by Niall Horan 
  • “I Want to Write You a Song” by One Direction
  • “Dark Red” by Steve Lacy
  • “Thriller” by Micheal Jackson
  • “Disturbia” by Rihanna 
  • “Somebody’s Watching Me” by Rockwell
  • “Ghostbusters” by Ray Parker Jr. 

No matter the temperature or current climate, people and students in Southern California should always have some way of connecting with fall. YLHS students are in luck this upcoming autumn, as they have plenty of options on how they choose to get into the fall spirit.