The Best California Vacation Spots

No matter where students go in California, they are certain to have a memorable trip.

Courtesy of U.S. News

Fiona Salisbury, Photojournalist

California has no shortage of great travel destinations. As summer break approaches, many students may find opportunities to travel around the state during the break. Because there is so much to see, students should take the time to find the best destinations worth visiting in the state.

One of the greatest things that California has to offer is its national parks. The most popular national parks in the state are Yosemite National Park, Redwood National Park, and Death Valley National Park. While these parks are among the most visited national parks in the state for good reason, there are still many other national parks that students can consider visiting such as Lassen Volcanic National Park, Pinnacles National Park, and Channel Islands National Park. Visiting these less visited parks can provide students with an amazing trip to see some of California’s natural scenery that is less touched by large numbers of tourists.

Outside of California’s natural scenery, the state is also full of many historic sites that are worth visiting. Perhaps some of the most well-known historic sites in California are its missions. Spanning from San Diego to Sonoma, California boasts 21 Spanish missions that are all rich with history. Another important historic site in California that students can visit is Manzanar, a former Japanese concentration camp from World War II. Other interesting historic sites that people can visit include and are not limited to the Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, Governor’s Mansion State Historic Park, and Old Sacramento Historic Park.

California is also full of many destinations that are great for outdoor activities. In the summer, great activities can be surfing, biking, and hiking. In the winter, there are also many great destinations for skiing and snowboarding. When it comes to surfing, some of the best destinations are Huntington Beach and Malibu. Some of the best biking destinations in California are Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park. When it comes to hiking, California has no shortage of great locations, but the national parks listed above are excellent choices. Some of the best places to ski or snowboard in California are Mammoth Mountain and Lake Tahoe.

No matter which California vacation spots students choose, they are guaranteed to have an excellent trip. According to Abigail Lee (10), “traveling around California is a great experience because there is no shortage of things to do and see.” People can visit anywhere in California, and they can be certain to have a memorable trip.