Ways to Have a Productive Study Session

Brenda Lu
Planners are only one of many different ways to keep track of work and maximize productivity.

A productive lifestyle can be defined in multiple ways. Whether it relates to having a consistent routine throughout the day or being able to control yourself from addicting distractions such as your phone, productivity is the key to a successful lifestyle. 

Methods to stay productive include making a To-do list, refine workspaces, take breaks to tune in focus, and focus on one thing at a time. A To-do list is an effective way to keep track of the work you need to finish or the tasks you need to complete. For many, it is also a good way of encouragement as you can track your progress and the work you’ve done throughout the day. Abby Reddick (10), shares “I keep a To-do list because it keeps me on top of my work and I don’t ever forget about any assignments. Also I like crossing out the tasks that I’ve completed because it makes me feel like I’ve accomplished a lot.”

I keep a To-do list because it keeps me on top of my work.

— Abby Reddick (10)

Keeping a To-do list is very simple and can be done in a planner, in an app on your phone, or just on a piece of paper or post it note! Another important factor is having a refined and organized workspace. With a clean workspace, it allows you to focus and mentally set yourself into a productive work mentality. Conversely, many choose to do homework on their bed, but this is a habit that will negatively affect your levels of productivity because a bed is associated with rest and will often lead to distractions and procrastination. Next, taking breaks is significant in maximizing one’s focus time. This is to reduce stress levels and to refresh your brain so that your body will allow you to refocus when you return to work. Lastly, while many deem themselves to be multitaskers, the way to maximum productivity is by focusing on one thing at a time. It is proven that when you try to focus on more than one thing at a time, your brain will bounce around and you won’t be able to retain information as well as if you only channeled your focus onto one subject. 

One study method that helps with efficiency and time management is the Pomodoro method. This is a method where you focus for 25 minutes without any distractions and take a five minute break after, without thinking about any of the work you just did. The Pomodoro technique helps individuals gain an understanding of their optimal productivity cycles.

To conclude, there are many beneficial ways to maximize productivity during a study session. While it may seem that distractions and procrastination are overcome, especially with only a few months of the school year, follow these steps into studying more efficiently.