Machu Picchu is now Wheelchair Accessible

CIndy Otis, a wheelchair user, scaled the Incan ruins of Machu Picchu.

Courtesy of Cindy Otis

Courtesy of Cindy Otis

Courtesy of Cindy Otis

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

In each corner of the world, feats of architecture have amazed people of the past and in today’s world. Most of the world-renowned creations such as the Great Pyramids of Giza, were built in ancient times before the common era. These great structures were built and intended for those people living in olden times and not so much for those who are disabled. With new technology and innovation progressing each day, that statement might not be said as commonly now. The ancient Incan city of Machu Picchu has now been renovated for wheelchair users.

The travel company, Wheel the World, has made a new tour of the Incan site for disabled people. The company was erected because of two “best friends from Chile — Alvaro Silberstein, who uses a wheelchair, and Camilo Navarro, who doesn’t” (CNN). After the best friends studied business at UC Berkeley, they wanted to make an inclusive company dream into a true reality that can affect millions.

Because Machu Picchu rests in the Peruvian mountains, the steep incline is physically exhausting to anyone hiking on the trails. Now that even wheelchairs can see the site can be a game changer for other tourist attractions. Wheel the World is currently touring Machu Picchu, but they look to start expanding to other attractions across the globe. The company partners with those “who can donate the wheelchairs and store them in the region, meaning users don’t have to supply their own or handle the cost of shipping” (CNN). This keeps the cost of the tour and gets rid of the hassle of bringing one’s own wheelchair on an international flight.

The opportunities Wheel the World is offering to people who once thought that it was impossible to visit some of the wonders of the world is amazing in itself. Their Machu Picchu tour is a four-day trip that includes sleeping arrangements and the tour of the city costs around $1,500. Wheel the World is revolutionizing the touring experience through their accommodations.

When asked what she thought about Wheel the World and their innovations in helping the disabled people who still want to visit the beautiful architecture, Savannah Pietsch (11) responded saying that “what they are doing is so noble and they are striving to help everyone see the awe-inspiring tourist attractions”. In the future, there is much to look forward to as Machu Picchu sets the precedent for wheelchair accommodations for the disabled. Wheel the World will continue to inspire and create a positive experience for people of all backgrounds.

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

Stephen Serrano is a junior at Yorba Linda High School. He is currently serving his second year as a Section Editor and his third year as a part of The...