The “Transition” Generation

A+family+with+three+different+children%2C+all+seemingly+in+the+same+generation%2C+but+with+widely+different+childhood+viewpoints.+

The “Transition” Generation

A family with three different children, all seemingly in the same generation, but with widely different childhood viewpoints.

Malieka Khan

Malieka Khan

Malieka Khan

Malieka Khan, Editor

Ever since the turn of the century, the world has been in constant change. From its technology to its people to its workforce. Still, then the changes do not just happen overnight; they take years to form. Lately, a generation that still recognizes “things only 90s kids will remember” yet watches youtube over television has grown up. Those who have updated technology, but only got it once they had become older. The kids born from the years 1997-2003 seem to have molded into this transition generation that has gotten all the good, and bad, that the two worlds before and after them have offered.

Technology alone had evolved quicker than any other adaptation over the past decade. While “true 90s kids”, as they call them, had flip phones and home computers rather than laptops this has clearly evolved. In a big way. Now, kids are getting phones before they leave elementary school with the latest updates and the most recent technological advances.

The transition generation may have gotten phones at nine years old, but they got slide up phones that definitely did not have Instagram on them. Or they waited a bit longer till middle school to get the brand new IPhone they received after years of waiting. This is plain and simple due to the fact that “when kids after 2003 were born, they received the aftermath of a worldwide technological increase” as Polly Bowman (11) states.

The community and social unity within millennials (the 90s generation) and the generation z kids (gen z) is completely different. During the 90s there was not much that could be done when it was convenient for them. Shows came on at specific times, the same songs played on the radio, and only a select few movies were released that truly had been hits; everyone got the same childhood. Now, with all the different content on the internet and people being so widely sourced it is almost impossible to relate on things besides a couple of jokes on the internet.

With this molded generation, they grew up on Disney Channel shows like “Hannah Montana” and “The Suite Life of Zack and Cody” not to mention “Wizards of Waverly Place”, but are only bonded by those childhood memories. Songs that take them back to the past and show references that spark flooding memories of nostalgia bind them, but like the rest of the kids now there is an entire pool of shows to watch on Netflix and a surplus amount of content on Youtube to binge as well.

From memories of old childhood to technology that was outdated at first, the kids from those six years do resonate with their older cousins and brothers at family reunions when they bust out a dance to “Soulja Boy” or sing the Drake and Josh theme song. But, they do talk the way of the people around them with their constant usage of “lit” and “sister” as if it is the common vernacular now a days.

Though this generation does bring hope because they have seen both sides of the coin. Too little of technology can lead to what some would call a boring or deprived life. While too much of the same thing and too little of life itself can lead to snobby and even less creative people about to conquer the world. So who knows, perhaps this knowledgeable generation can change the world for the better from the way they have seen it change for the worse.

Malieka Khan, Editor

Malieka Khan is a junior at Yorba Linda High School and is currently and editor for The Wrangler. In her spare time, Malieka likes to read books, write...