The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Review

Even the poster for the newest version of the show depicts a much darker story than it’s previous adaptations.

Amber Reddish, Photojournalist

The history of Sabrina the Witch is long and winding. Her story began in the mid 1900s when she was introduced as a character in Archie’s Mad House comics. She eventually became a repeating character and received her own comic books. Similarly, she was first introduced on tv as a character on an Archie special. This special then progressed into a series where she was a character, her own specials, and eventually her own own cartoon series. Later she was given another tv series where Sabrina was played by Melissa Joan Hart.

Now that a new remake has graced our televisions, many comparisons are being drawn between the various pre-existing adaptations of Sabrina’s story. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is much more gruesome and dark than the previous books and shows. Before now all the adaptations had been light-hearted, funny, and fun, yet the newest adaption is quite the polar opposite. The show revolves around Sabrina’s impending choice of whether or not to sign her name in the Devil’s book. On one hand doing so would give her access to immense amounts of power, yet on the other hand, doing so would also take away all of her free will. On top of this if she does decide to join Satan she has to leave all her friends and her boyfriend behind to move to an academy for witches.

I truly believe the show did a great job of portraying a teenagers real life struggles, while also integrating the unique plot that follows Sabrina throughout the story. Jessica Ryan (12) says that “the show was oddly really relatable, which made me like it even more.” As a teenager, you are trying to figure out who you are and where you belong. Along the way, you might mess up and make some mistakes, but overall you’re just on a journey to find yourself. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina embraces all of these struggles and by doing so they make the show relatable despite its supernatural themes. They also touched on issues such as feminism, free will, and the Me Too movement.

Overall the newest adaptation of Sabrina the witch was a great show. I personally binge watched it in one weekend and loved it. All the different aspects of the show made it relatable, relevant, and captivating. It may be darker than what you were expecting if you are a fan of the past comics and series that followed Sabrina, but I suggest you keep an open mind because you may discover you love this new twist.

Amber Reddish, Photojournalist

Amber Reddish is a senior at Yorba Linda High School serving as a photojournalist of the The Wrangler. She has one previous year of experience in her current...