Real or Fake?: ‘It’s Okay To Be White’ Movement

Some people have taken time to photograph themselves supporting the movement.

The Root

The Root

Alyssa Pepito, Photojournalist

There have been movements for good causes throughout this year, however, this “movement” is considered the most unnecessary. Both recently and even last month, there have been signs posted around school campuses such as Washington State University, University of California, Davis, Maryland High School, Tulane University, and the University of South Carolina, etc, which read the words “It’s Okay To Be White” in big font. Students have been the ones putting up these posters for the fun of it. The name itself sounds like a complete joke.

Due to the name of this “movement” being quite controversial, of course people had something to say about it. It has been assumed that this movement’s ideas were ripped off from the Black Lives Matter Movement, but instead of being for African Americans facing oppression, it is for white people. People of the internet and media are assuming the creators seriously made this as a way to say white people are oppressed. Anger sprung from social media accounts as people replied back saying things like how white people should not need to feel oppressed as they are not part of the minority and have not felt racism the way any person of color has. Some even questioned what the motive of this joke of a movement was.

Of course there is room for misinterpretation, that was the reason these internet trolls had shared these “It’s Okay To Be White” posters. It all started on an online forum called “4chan” with the neo-Nazis and white supremacist trolls. Apparently, they wanted to show how people would be easily bothered and uncomfortable by this message and it was all a joke. Even so, they wanted to expose “the media’s anti-white agenda” (Newsweek). They eventually got what they wanted and did create a sort of social unrest both within the internet community and locally (Washington Post).

“It’s Okay To Be White” was originally a meme and instead was taken too seriously by some and pushed further forward by the creators. Even as it is supposed to be taken as a joke, the “movement” does show how white people feel like they are oppressed when they should not be. The creators of this “movement” say it’s a joke trying to prove “anti-white racism” is real, when in reality, they are seriously caught up in the idea that reverse racism is real.

This so called “movement” should not be taken seriously. Cheryl Pham (11) agrees “not everything on the internet can be trusted and we should be aware of that.” Everyone should learn to not be so gullible in cases like this especially coming straight from the internet. There was no point to this movement prank and absolutely nothing was gained from it.

Alyssa Pepito, Photojournalist

Alyssa Pepito is a junior at Yorba Linda High School. This is her second year in newspaper and she is interested in making this year a great one. She is determined to achieve better grades and make a good career for the future. In her free time, she enjoys creating music playlists, listening to the same albums continuously, watching the same videos, and spending time adventuring.

1 Comment

One Response to “Real or Fake?: ‘It’s Okay To Be White’ Movement”

1. Sharleen Wilson on January 30th, 2018 5:33 PM

Alyssa!

Your points are well taken. Humor, especially sarcasm, can sometimes take an ugly turn.

Best wishes to you!!

• Real or Fake?: ‘It’s Okay To Be White’ Movement

2018 American Music Awards

Tips for an Advanced Year

Ads

Grad Night E-Waste Fundraiser

When is a Celebrity “Off the Clock”?

Brett Kavanaugh Confirmed

The Nightmare Before Homecoming

When Should You Apply to College?

How to Score a Homecoming Date

Center of Attention

Democrats Seek to Flip CA-39