Selecting the Right College

Photo+Courtesy+of++College+Culture%3A+Seniors+at+Yorba+Linda+High+School+will+soon+have+to+decide+which+college+is+right+for+them.+

Photo Courtesy of College Culture: Seniors at Yorba Linda High School will soon have to decide which college is right for them.

Brooke Gagnon, Photojournalist

May 1st is right around the corner and for seniors at Yorba Linda High school, this means decision day. It is the day in which seniors must officially commit to a college. Selecting the right school is a difficult take so here are some important topics to consider.

1. It is essential to visit the colleges: All students should visit the schools for a tour of the campus and dorms. This allows for students to better experience and understand the environment on campus. Many colleges offer special open houses for admitted students which allow for the students to see all that the school has to offer. The setting of the college also can play a large role. Some schools are in the heart of the bustling city, while others are in the middle of a cornfield. It all comes down to preference of the students. When discussing his college, Ravi Patel (12), said,“ I knew Chapman was the school for me as soon as I toured it. I instantly felt at home and pictured my life there as a student. It was great to see the surrounding area along with all of the various activities the school offers.” By visiting the schools, it will be easier to determine what is best suited for the students.
  2. Make sure to fact in cost: Bernie Sanders did not win the presidency, so students still do have to pay for college. Therefore, it is essential to look at costs. Many schools will reward financial aid or scholarships, which can help reduce the cost. By considering cost, students will be avoid student loans. If student loans are the only way to attend college, apply for scholarships. Various organizations offer scholarships for high school seniors, they just require time to fill out.
  3. Look into the size of the school: Some schools are home to tens of thousands of students, while others are smaller than most high schools. The large schools result in more diversity and students to meet. However, smaller schools tend to have a more tight-knit community where students know most of the student body. Both are great options; however, it comes down to preferences.  The size of the school will also affect the student-to-faculty ratio. Schools with lower ratios allow for students have a more personal connection with their professors.

Selecting a college is not easy because it is where students will spend the next four years of their adulthood. However, all schools have amazing aspects that make them unique, so it is hard to go wrong. It is about finding the school that is best matched to the student.