Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

The Best Movies to Watch This Holiday Season

20th Century Fox
    This is the Christmas classic, Home Alone, which was a very popular suggestion for a holiday classic.

A warm, crackling fireplace fills your house with warmth. The scent of pine emits from the Christmas tree decorated with red and gold in the corner of the room. Your mom makes everyone hot chocolate while your siblings are snuggled up in their cozy blankets. Your dad has the remote, asking everyone, “What movie should we watch tonight?”

You want to pick a movie that is perfect for the holiday season. Something that perfectly captures the feeling of jolly, warmth, and happiness. But somehow, your mind draws a blank. What movie is perfect for the holiday season? In this article, YLHS students give their opinions on what movie is the best to watch during this holiday season. After reading, you will have enough movies for a Christmas movie marathon!

The most popular movie suggestion among YLHS students was the signature holiday movie Home Alone. The Home Alone movie franchise is a Christmas classic and one of the nation’s most-watched holiday movies. Ally Ho (11)says, “Home Alone is a must-watch classic during the holiday season, as the movie lifts the holiday spirit by showcasing lessons like the importance of family.” Katie Ellsworth (12) also recommended Home Alone as the best movie to watch during the holiday season. She commented that the movie is “funny and is a tradition to watch with my family every year.” Home Alone is a very entertaining classic that teaches a precious lesson about the importance of family. 

Another Christmas movie that is perfect for the holiday season is National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. This Christmas movie is also another hilarious classic. The movie is known for its humorous comedy detailing a disastrous family celebration. Emily Lillemoen’s (12) favorite Christmas movie is National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation because it is funny. She also says, “[National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation] provides a good message. All you need is your family to have a good Christmas.” 

“[National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation] provides a good message. All you need is your family to have a good Christmas.” 

— Emily Lillemoen (12)

Another Christmas classic that is the best to watch during the holiday season is the movie Elf. Among the holiday classics, Elf is a beautiful story of family and hope. Of course, it is another hilarious holiday movie. It teaches the importance of family and the importance of kindness in a sometimes cruel world. Lucas Kame (11) loves this movie, his favorite Christmas movie during this jolly season. He remarks, “It is a hilarious Christmas movie. My family and I make it a tradition to watch it every year around Christmas time.”

Lastly, a great movie to watch around Christmas time is The Grinch (2018). While multiple films surround The Grinch, the 2018 movie is the best to manage. It tells a great story of how people can change, no matter how evil they seem. Alyssa Hernandez (12) thinks The Grinch (2018) is a perfect movie to watch during the holidays. She remarks on how the cinema teaches outstanding lessons and “[she] thinks it is nice how Cindy Lou befriends the Grinch, even though he is at first very mean.” 

Now, if your dad ever asks what movie you as a family should watch during the holiday season, you have four perfect Christmas movies to choose from!