Orchestra at the Happiest Place on Earth

Photo courtesy of Amanda Chung

Photo courtesy of Amanda Chung (10) Left: Amanda Chung (10), Ashley Bui-Tran (10), Jackie Zhang (10), and Alice Ding (9) end their night at California Adventure with a picture in front of the Christmas tree.

Amanda Chung, photojournalist

Orchestra is a zero period elective a student can take. There are a variety of instruments that people can play such as the violin, viola, cello, bass, harp, and the piano. Depending on the person’s skill level, they can either be placed in sinfonia or orchestra. Sinfonia is a more advanced class where Mr. Mort, the music teacher, assigns more vigorous and elaborate pieces; this class requires auditions at the beginning of the year. Usually, sinfonia consists of fewer students, and they practice on Tuesday and Thursday mornings while orchestra practices on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

On December 6, 2016, Yorba Linda High School’s orchestra and sinfonia went to Disney’s California Adventure to perform for an audience. The two classes combined together to form one giant group, and they even performed a few songs together.

At around 8:30 in the morning, the students packed their instruments into a U-haul and loaded onto a bus. When they arrived at Disneyland, two employees brought them backstage of California adventure to prepare and take group pictures.

At 11:00 a.m., the orchestra performed at the stage next to the Monster Inc. ride. The combined orchestra performed “I’ll Be Bach for Christmas” and “In the Company of Angels” together. Sinfonia performed “A Christmas Festival” and “Fantasia on Greensleeves” by themselves, and orchestra played “Wind River Reflection” and “Boreas.”

After performing, all the students got a free pass to California Adventure, and they spent the rest of their day in the park. They arrived back to school at around 9:00 p.m.

Jackie Zhang (10) is a new member of YLHS’s orchestra. “This was a really fun experience for me,” she said. “I got to perform in the happiest place on Earth, and then I got to spend the rest of the day with my friends inside the park.”

Alice Ding (9), another student in orchestra, is grateful that Yorba Linda High School was able to provide this experience for her. “It was really fun being able to be at Disneyland while my other friends were stuck at school,” she said. “I hope we get to do this again next year!”

On December 13, 2016, there will be a winter concert at school where the orchestra and sinfonia will perform the same songs they performed at Disneyland. Admission is free, so make sure to come support YLHS’s music program!